Motherboard will not recognize SATA drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bolivartech, May 7, 2009.

1. bolivartech

bolivartech Private E-2

I've got a pc I'm working on that has a very old hard drive in it but a motherboard that was not. The drive had bad sectors etc. so I decided to replace it with a newer SATA drive since the board had two SATA connections. For some reason though the board does not recognize the drive. I've tested the drive in another pc to be sure it wasn't doa, and sure enough it's fine. The board is a Jetway K8M8MS and the BIOS is Award v.600PG V.KM8MS A01 11-05-2004 . I cannot seem to get the BIOS to flash to a new version, their are 13 updates, and I'm clueless as to why. Jetway said I should download the sata drivers... They are for installing windows. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. bolivartech

bolivartech Private E-2

Ok I managed to force the BIOS to update, and it seems like there is SATA support now, but when I set the BIOS SATA settings to IDE (choices are IDE or RAID) POST freezes after the memory test without even attempting to look for a drive. If I remove the drive it will POST and the BIOS settings show to more IDE channels with only a master spot. Is the drive incompatible?
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

3. bolivartech

bolivartech Private E-2

Can someone delete this thread.... I'm such a newb, why did I have to think out loud in a forum to figure this out...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds