Motherboard's installation disk can't install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I have an ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard - UDMA133, SATA (RAID)

Yesterday, I switched from XP Pro x64 to Vista x64. When I placed the motherboard's disk in the dvd drive, it wouldn't install. I tried to install it manually but it wouldn't do that either. I don't receive a message, it just doesn't do anything.

All of the updates at the ASUS website are from 2006 and 2007. I tried to install one of the updates anyway, but since my computer doesn't have the original files, it can't update anything.

Also, some programs that I want to install, can't install, because it's looking for files that aren't on my pc . . . probably ones that are located on my motherboard's disk? Also, none of my ext hdds are recognized.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to install it?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

yea, it's going to be a lot of work. it more and more looks like my mobo and Vista x64 aren't compatible.

Thanks for the link. :) I'll give it a try.

4. augiedoggie

It shouldn't be an issue with your mobo, just that the installation disk was made prior to Vistas release. I had the same issue with my 3 year old A8N-E.

5. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I have other considerations. I can't install the software and firmware for my controller card and I have no audio. Some programs that I try to install, won't install because "a file is missing."

I've had a lot of probs with building this pc and now changing it over to Vista x64. I'm going to go back to XP Pro x64 and see what happens in about 5 years. I know a lot more now than I did when I started to build this pc so the choices that I'll make for components and an os will be knowledgeable decisions. I really didn't like the way Vista x64 worked either.

Thanks for your help :)

6. augiedoggie

Maybe someone else can help you more.

7. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Nah . . . it's ok. I just don't want to go through the trouble. If my mobo disk installed, it would've been ok and I really didn't like Vista very much.

I'm having a problem formatting it back to XP Pro x64. It gets to the point where it asked me if I want to format the drive that's highlighted (C drive) and I press F or yes to format my C drive, it tells me that I can't do it. I think that it didn't see me as the Admin of Vista x64.

Do you know why it's doing that and what I can do to overcome that?

8. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

you need to delete the partition and then create new partition THEN format :) I run vista x64 and if all the hardware was out after vista it runs great but pre vista hardware unfortunately suffers. Once I got used to Vista I actually like it better then xp but it took a little tweaking to get it there.

9. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Put XP Pro x64 on another partition on my hdd? Won't that keep Vista x64 os in my pc also?

10. augiedoggie

That's weird, if you booted to the X64 disk you shold be able to format, I haven't used it in quite a while. Let me boot up XP64, I have a *nix partition that I have to format any ways. Be back in a few, I hope.:)

11. augiedoggie

Yup, bonkers is right. Delete the partition first when you get the screen showing your hardrive(s), the command is at the bottom of that page.

12. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I decided to try to install xp x64 one more time and the 4th time was a piece of cake. I don't know why it didn't work the first few times though and why yours didn't work either, but that's Microsoft for you :-D

Thanks for your help. I appreciated knowing that someone was there to help. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds