Motherboards, Modems, and Mystery! OOH!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tyrant642000, May 11, 2006.

1. Tyrant642000

Tyrant642000 Private E-2

Alright, long story short, My motherboard got fried in a storm, and im looking to replace it, as well as upgrade the old mans computer. Get this, he wants DSL, aka he needs an ethernet port, right? Well, he has a >>>>>PENTIUM 1<<<< with the original motherboard. And i had a amd athlon 2700 , motherboard, and a nvidia geforce 5200. Im looking for CHEAP motherboards to replace both mine and his, no processors, whats the best site, or even better, does anyone have a store suggestion or a link, other than fry's electronics since im in bufu land, texas. Im looking for maybe 40$ motherboards, since im gonna have to buy ram and etc, anyways. Im using a library computer so any quick response would help. Also, if going with a 1.5 mbs connection, is wireless better than directly connecting two computers if they are on different floors of a house?
    Love the site.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Tyrant642000

Tyrant642000 Private E-2

Mmmmyeah well i found one on ebay, whoot. Came with a pentium II, which is again more than what he needs lol. ten bucks for both, so im content there. Also got mine replaced, for 20... so thats done too. Went to etechisland.com for mine.
    But now my friends having a problem, he just got a new motherboard, and his computer will read and install his modems, but since he uses walmart connect, and IT wont read anything but a tci/ip port, aka a lan port, which he DOES not have, he cant get online. Suggestions?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sorry, got a head cold and have burned out a few neurons...clarify for this old fa*t .... all he has is a dial-up modem? And his connection (Walmart Connect?) I assume is a dsl connection? When you say a lan connection, I interpret that to mean he needs, and doesn't have, an ethernet card to plug into a PCI connection on his motherboard .....yes?
    Back to the original post ....direct connect is always better where poss., faster, but a usb wireless will work just fine on a next level floor .....(might have to have a repeater, or just stronger antenae on the router).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds