Mountvol

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pipamoz, Jun 30, 2005.

1. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

Hiya Sexy

I have installed a 2nd Internal Harddrive and want to create a path to it using the MOUNTVOL command in DOS. But I can't remember how to do it.

I'm sure it goes a little something like this:

MOUNTVOL [C:]\\?\Volume{4957-dfgdf-54353-etc-etc}\F:

Does this look familiar to anyone? If so, would you be a Chic-Geek :rolleyes: and reply including as much info as possible...

I have the GUID's for both my C: drive and my F: drive which are the two I'm tring to link but cannot get DOS to understand that I am now 32 and it's been over 10 years since my last visit to the command line.

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

why not do it from inside the OS? [​IMG]

3. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

How do I do it in the Os. I'm using XP Pro...

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

thx, i've got that info on my help and support page already, but it doesn't give a full example, ie: when you're in the command line it looks a little like this,

C:> MOUNTVOL \\?\Volume\{2eca078d-5cbc-43d3-aff8-7e8511f60d0e}\)

but it doesn't work. Am I missing something?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

did you use the volume info from your drives or that sample from MS?

These are mine and different to the MS sample.
    [​IMG]

if I got this right its something like this ( altho I have only used this once.. still cannot remember why )

C:\>mountvol d:\ \\?\Volume{63d41f90-c9fb-11d8-86ee-806d6172696f}

if your assigning a you own drive letter to the new drive you can do that via Disk Managment > then right click the drive icon and choose "change drive letter and path"

7. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

I tried my own not the sample i used in the thread, but, I owe u a big thanks...

It's that 1st \ after the drive letter i missed, i knew the moment i saw your reply.
    At least i hope so, i'll try it tomorrow when i'm back at work...
    cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds