Mouse and keyboard are acting crazy....

Discussion in 'Software' started by C1B3R5NYP3R, Sep 1, 2013.

1. C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R Private First Class

hey guys and gals... Seems my pc is doing some weird stuff... When I try to drag something it only drags for a short distance then quits dragging. Also when I single click it acts like I am double clicking. My screen also jumps when I click on something like I am scrolling down the page. Now my keyboard is not typing everything I am trying to type and also putting double letters other times...
    I tried to restore my computer to an earlier time but it says it is corrupted and cannot restore.
    I also just changed the ports that my mouse and keyboard are plugged into. still doing the same thing....

Any ideas on what else to try?

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. C1B3R5NYP3R

Already done that. According to chaselang the logs show everything is fine. Thought possibly a software or driver issue but I cant seem to get the mouse to cooperate with me.

Ill try and reset my settings on the OS I guess.... Not sure what to do here

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

How old is this computer, do you keep it plugged into a surge strip, and have you had any issues recently of close lightning strikes.

I would do a Bios reset, by pulling the Bios battery, and see if that fixes things, along with uninstalling the HID & Mouse drivers, which can also be a cause of the issue.

First try a different keyboard and mouse with the machine, to see what happens, before resorting to the above.

5. Goldenskull

Well i find that if your BIOS has a pci latency timer it might need adjusted to a higher timer mine is set to (128) If mine goes any lower it will kinda freeze up my wireless mouse.

So to the OP go into bios and check too see if you have an option for pci latency timer and increase it.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First and easy solution - try another mouse to rule out a problem with the mouse. Yes mice do die. I had several show weirdness over the years. I replaced them and the computer was back to normal.

Next please give the make and model of computer. Also I assume both are USB since you said you changed the ports.
    What version of Windows are you running?

7. C1B3R5NYP3R

This computer was upgraded within the last year... My sig has my specs. (Minus the graphics card) Took it out about a month ago due to the heat it was putting out.

I will definitely keep this in mind. However, things were working fine for a time. So I dont think its a BIOS issue. But thank you for the insight! Never thought to look there....

First of all, yes mice die. But for the mouse AND the keyboard to act up in unison is makes me think that it is an issue with the PC. Well let me back up and say this.... The mouse is a logitech N231 wireless (Its old) and may very well be the issue. Then there is the keboard which is an Iogear GKM561R (2.4 Ghz) keyboard with trackball. They each have their own dongle. And both are well within range. For both of these devices to simultaneously show "glitches" if you will is beyond me.

Now for the good news....
    I went into control panel-> folder options-> and under each tab I selected "Restore Defaults" and that helped dramatically. I still see issues with the mouse however they are no where near as bad as they used to be. So with this said, maybe this will set off the proverbial light bulb and someone may know what the problem is....

8. Wyngs

Wyngs Private E-2

This may be silly, but have you refreshed the mouse batteries? I gave up on the wireless stuff because it seemed like I was changing batteries all the time. Lots of weird stuff happens when the batteries get low.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Both are wireless, stuff like Microwaves, wifi gear, cordless phones that operate on the 2.4ghz freq., and the fact that they are old, can cause the keyboard and mouse to go South.

So lets start at the beginning, get a good wired keyboard and mouse, connect and see what happens. If the problem goes away, you know that the issue is with the existing wireless keyboard and mouse. Also check to see what drivers are loaded. If it is the Microsoft drivers, load a good known driver from the manufacturer and see what happens.

If again the keyboard and mouse go wacky and start doing stuff on their own, pitch them and get new gear. Personally I am not a big fan of wireless keyboards & mice, but after shopping around between three different brands, I found the Logitech M525 wireless mouse is a good one to use, no problems with it since I have owned it. It has been solid as a rock.

Newegg has the Logitech MK320 keyboard/mouse combo on sale for $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126188

The K270 for $35 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126198 *Unifying keyboard & mouse.

Microsoft Desktop 800 for $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109236

There are some others on there that are good, just do not know what your price range is, so shop around, but stay with name brand, not some off brand. Here is a review of the top ten http://wireless-keyboard.toptenreviews.com/

10. Goldenskull

For wireless mouse you need to increase your pci latency timer in Bios it will help.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Never had to do that on any computer that we have setup with wireless keyboards and mice. Are you sure your info is correct? You may have had to with the older rf keyboards & mice, but not with the newer ones. It is all plug in and go now with them. The OS takes it from there.

12. Goldenskull

Yes if i don't increase the pci latency timer to (128) my mouse will start to lag.

The PCI Latency Timer measures how long a device can hold the bus and the time is measured in clock cycles.

Now for me an increase helped me but for some a lower setting might help them.My rig is built for continuous speed no slow downs.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds