Mouse and Keyboard dont work in W7, but work in BIOS

Discussion in 'Software' started by teroh04, Jul 13, 2012.

1. teroh04

teroh04 Private E-2

Hi,

All of a sudden I'm having a very strange problem.

I have a G510 Keyboard and a Razer Mamba mouse which all of a sudden dont seem to be found by windows. They work just find in the BIOS and start up, but as soon as it goes into W7 they dont work at all. They are turned on and everything, but nothing is recognized.

I have them connected via USB to the M/B and they were working just fine last time I had used them.

I already attempted safe mode boot, safe mode with command prompt and a CMOS clean with no luck.

Anyone come across this before?

PS: Already tried another mouse and keyboard and they werent being picked up either. As a matter fact, its not recognizing anything plugged via USB.

2. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Since your USB connections aren't working properly do you have or can you find a mouse or keyboard that plugs into the PS2 port on the computer? Assuming you have a PS2 port on the computer.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Get into the BIOS (since you did not mention brand and model of computer, I can't tell you what key or keys you need to press to access the BIOS) and check two things:
    USB is enabled
    Legacy USB Support is enabled

4. teroh04

teroh04 Private E-2

Alright my apologies, I just got back from purchasing a PS2 adapter for the mouse and keyboard.

I have an Asus P67 Extreme 4 M/B and W7 Ultimate on my HDDs.

I just tested with the PS2 adapter and its not picking it up either. meanwhile in the BIOS I have legacy support enabled as well this is quite strange and is weirding me out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

5. teroh04

teroh04 Private E-2

As a quick update, i have bought and created a Win 7 recovery disc, and within the system recovery options the mouse and keyboard work no problem. But after running system repair and returning to Windows it doesnt work.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you look through EVERYTHING in the BIOS to be sure USB is enabled?

At this point, the only work around I can think of is to install a card with USB ports on it and plug the mouse and keyboard into that.
    Perhaps with them working again, you can repair whatever Windows has done to kill all your USB ports.

7. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

If you've installed and activated a remote desktop app, like Windows Live Mesh, you could use that from another computer to access the control panel in your problem computer. There are certain things that you can't click on from a remote app, but you should be able to at least be able to access the Device Manager and see if you can roll back a driver or see if you have any exclamation points to show a problem.

Can you use a system restore point? That might be simpler if you haven't tried it yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds