mouse driver that i do not need keeps tring to install

Discussion in 'Software' started by ~Pyrate~, Sep 27, 2004.

1. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

everytime i boot up windows i get the "found new hardware" pop up(which is supposedly a mouse) ... and it says in the device manager that i have two mice:confused: ... i have disabled it and uninstalled it from the device manager but it always appears again when i reboot ... the only external devices i have connected are a webcam, a joystick, a mouse, a keyboard (all logitech) and an olympus digi cam ... when i completely remove this "ghost" device nothing is affected ... all my input devices work fine .. this is not really a problem but i am sick of seeing that screen everytime i boot up

any ideas on how to get rid of this pop up? or what the "ghost" device might be?

then again halloween is coming up soon :D

i also have a 5 port belkin USB 2.0 PCI card which both the webcam and joystick are attached ,,, the mouse, keyboard and digicam are connected to the motherboards USB ports

2. starshipwarrior

starshipwarrior Private E-2

Look in device manager properties and it will give you an idea of what this device is

Starship Warrior

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

it says it's a mouse ... i have one and it's installed

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Pyrate :)
    Go to start/run/ And type in REGEDIT Then go to the hives HKEY_CURRENT_USER AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE And look for Microsoft to see what mice are listed if any as you don't have one. While you are in there confirm that your logitech is installed and then look for any other brands of mice that you have had in the past? Do not touch anything at this stage but report back here your findings

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

thnx for the help

picture "mouse1" seems the most relevent in my mind because when I looked at the keyboard class it had 0 and 1 but the pointer class had 0, 1 and 2 ... i was tempted to delete it but I don't know my way around the registry too well

pic "mouse2" is of my mouses settings .. and "mouse3" is the only microsoft menu that i could find that referred to mice

I may have used a PS/2 mouse with this computer, but I'm 99% sure that was only in a previous installation

do you think it could be that my USB 2.0 card is telling the operating system that something is there when it isn't? I was thinking it could be my joystick(logitech extreme3Dpro) but to my knowledge it doesn't have any mouse type capability, also I see it in the device manager. I am using the XP drivers not the logitech drivers for both the mouse and the joystick as i do not like the drivers that came with them.

http://www.geocities.com/rush830/mouse1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/rush830/mouse2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/rush830/mouse3.jpg

6. NICK ADSL UK

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i dunno they're just alot of fluff ... i use the logitech drivers for my keyboard, i just just find the default drivers more functional and easier to use for the mouse and joystick .. like when you press the scroll wheel with the logitech drivers the pages just scroll so slowly(and this can be very annoying when you've already read a post and want to scroll down to what you havent read) ... i just found it to be just fluff and no substance

you think is just a side effect of not using the logitech drivers?

8. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

thats why I have my settings so I see the last post first. . . .lol

I have never owned a logitech, the whole light thing just bothers me

9. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

well ... i post in forums that dont allow you to do that ... although that hadn't occured to me to set it like that ..

at any rate i tried installing the logitech drivers ... just to realize how much I didn't like them(and the ghost mouse was still there) ... so I uninstalled them ... but in doing so I uninstalled my mouse and the "ghost" mouse completely ... and when I reinstalled the default drivers the ghost mouse was not there ... I thought I had done something similar but whatever i did it worked

EDIT: I checked regedit, and I discovered that my instinct was right that "\device\pointerclass2" was the "ghost" mouse and is no longer in my registry... I'm guessing if I had deleted that the problem would have gone away ... thnx for your help:)

10. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Pyrate~ :)
    Glad you got it sorted. In future do remember to use the right driver for your hardware and make sure it is signed as well. That way you can always be sure that your computer will work satisfactory

Regards

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds