Mouse Has A Mind Of It's Own - Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

My Logitech mouseball thingie has gone wonky. It works for a few seconds and then gets jumpy, stops working, and seems to move around on by itself.

Before I tackle this hopefully minor problem, does anyone have any experience with really wicked causes for this problem. Such as a virus?

I am going to start by uninstalling the hardware and the rebooting. If that does not help, then a complete viruse/ad junk scan.

Thanks for any advice.

My specs are in my sig.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Give it a virus and spyware scan, would recommend ad aware which can be found in MG downloads. Failing that then it's time for a new mouse my friend :D

3. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Start with cleaning it, take out the ball and make sure you get all the dust out. Might help! :)

4. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I don't think it is the physical operation of the mouse. It as if my computer is busy and the mouse needs to play catch up. Sometimes it just freezes, or jitters abit by itself.

I have the "non clean" kind. To clean it I need to unscrew the bottom. It is unlike my old Logitech where I could just pop out a small retaining ring.

I did an adaware scan, it found some crap, but still no dice.

I uninstalled the software, still no luck.

Any other ideas?

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Good one, Solange -- or would have been if it were a roller-ball mouse.

Unfortunately, "'non-clean' kind" isn't very specific about what kind of mouse we're dealing with. This makes it difficult to offer other suggestions. But in the absence of some information about what kind of mouse is involved, I'm still not convinced it isn't a mechanical problem with the mouse.

20Valve -- try the mouse on another machine, and let us know how it behaves. If you can, try a similar mouse on your machine too. If you can do both, you'll know for sure whether it's your mouse or your machine.

6. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Rob M, I got that impression from this:

But apparantly I got it wrong! :D

20Valve, is it a mouse with a ball, or is it an optical mouse? I have a cat, and she sleeps on my desk next to the mouse (I think she is guarding it...) and I sometimes get a lot of cat hair in the small opening for the optical ray. That causes my mouse to do same kind of strange movements. So if it is optical, see if you can blow out any dust from it.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Try another mouse pad.

8. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

are you referring to the mouse drivers? I would download the latest from the manufacturers website, then go into the device manager and uninstall the mouse from there ... now keep in mind you will not be able to use your mouse *period* untill you reinstall the new drivers ... just be sure that you can execute the installer via your keyboard before uninstalling your mouse from the device manager

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Or just use another mouse ;)

I agree with testing in other machines, but I'm not convinced that it is actually a mouse problem. But I'll go down that track anyway.

Check the mouse manual: it might tell you how to clean it, or somthing useful may come from it.

New drivers may help too. Check you don't have anything else controlling the mouse (another mouse connected?)

10. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Thanks for all the advice - it was a defective trackball mouse. It was less than a year old! Guess I gotta get a new one. I should have just dug an old one up to start with. I guess the geek me was hoping it was that not that easy in a way!

Thanks again.

Till the next time . . ..

11. gkitf16

gkitf16 Private E-2

Do yourself a favor and get a new Logitech wireless mouse (and maybe keyboard combo set!). You don't know the goodies you're missing! I have the Notebook wireless mouse for my laptop w/USB mini-transceiver (I hate trackpads!) and just got a black Logitech Cordless Optical mouse for my desktop PC, $29.95 @ Best Buy. I have the Logitech wireless keyboard as well. Both are a joy to use and seem to have an endless range, at least 40 feet (as far away as I can get in my apartment!) and still going, sheesh, you'll lose sight of the monitor before they quit!! Batteries seem to last forever in both keyboard & mouse, 2 AA's for each device. Well, there's my 2 cents pitch for Logitech. You won't be sorry!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds