mouse not recognized, settings won't save --xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by lindalou1, Mar 12, 2010.

1. lindalou1

lindalou1 Private E-2

Have just reinstalled Windows XP. Then I began installing the updates after service pack 3. Now, randomly, I have the following problems on start-up:

1. My refresh rate is not saved. I have a CRT monitor. Several years ago, there was no problem with the refresh rate. Then, several years ago, I had to have Windows reinstalled. The computer would not save almost any of my settings--refresh rate, sounds. It would keep the Windows Classic display, and it would keep the resolution.

Sometimes, I can reboot, and the refresh rate i have applied (85 hz) is working. Other times (most times), it is reset to 60. I have found just one piece of info about this on the net--that Windows XP defaults to 60 hz and that there is a registry edit tool called reforce that will fix the problem. I can't find the problem itself in my registry. (Also, weirdly, I did not have this problem running XP for a number of years). Is this the only fix? I have nVidia Geforce 6150LE, and I have not updated the driver because the shop that installed windows for me said I didn't need the new driver. I don't know if it would fix the problem and want some input before I change anything (regsitry or driver).

2. I will boot up and it won't recognize my mouse (the mouse won't move) and if I hit Ctl-Alt-Del several times, the task manager will finally appear, but it won't allow me to use it. I can't click on it, I can't hit "E" to end task. Basically, it seems it won't recognize my keyboard or the mouse. Everything is just locked. So, then, I manually turn the computer off, which I have been told repeatedly is very bad for the hard drive and which I have had to do dozens and dozens of times with this computer. My mouse is a plug-and-play, very old (and very good) Logitech TrackMan Vista.

BTW--computer is HP Pavilion a1540n running windows media center edition but without all the unneeded HP crap on it.

What is going on here? I think it must have something to do with the Windows updates. I want to get my refresh rate to stick, and I want it to always recognize my mouse so that I do not have to keep manually turning off my computer. I have tried to search the net for answers to these questions, but have only found the reforce/registry editing info about the refresh rate. Nothing to help me with mouse.

Thank you for any help you can provide, including possible ways to research these problems on the internet.

2. lindalou1

lindalou1 Private E-2

Update: I think that this happens when Windows has any pending updates. It seems that a lot of times when I shut down my computer, it doesn't actually load the updates, because when I reboot, it will show that there are still updates to install.

So another question is, why wouldn't it install the updates on shutdown (yes, I click to install updates before shutting down)?

3. lindalou1

lindalou1 Private E-2

It may or may not be a windows update problem. I used the registry edit on Kelly's Korner. If it installed, it still didn't fix anything long-term. After 3 restarts, I'm back to the 60 Hz refresh rate.

I wish someone had some advice.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Settings not saved seems to me to be a problem with the BIOS reverting to default values. This might mean that your CMOS battery needs to be replaced.
    If you have never changed the button battery, putting in a fresh one might be the first thing to try.

5. lindalou1

lindalou1 Private E-2

Thanks for you reply. Yeah, that is what was suggested the first time I had this problem, and I did put in a new battery. It didn't solve the problem, so I am guessing it won't this time. Nothing else is messing up.

I also tried reforce.exe, and it didn't do a thing.

I have edited registry files per instructions I found in the following place, http://www.earthv.com/tips_detail.asp?TipID=62. (also found at http://www.tombraiderforums.com/archive/index.php/t-66227.html)

Again, it didn't help. What I did was add the following under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\system\\CurentControlSet\\Control\\Class, and then the key (folder) that has to do with my monitor, {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Under that key are the folders 0000, 0001, and 0002. Under each of those folders is another folder, MODES. Under the first, 0000/MODES, there is the folder 1600,1200, and then the string(?)/value(?) is Default RG_SZ. The 0001 and 0002 folders are similar, except that the subfolders under MODES are 640,480 and 1280,1024, respectively.

I added under MODES the subfolders 1024,768 (which is the resolution I want), then, in the place where Default occurs, the word Mode1, and then where it says "value not set" the value 85-85,85-85. I want an 85 Hz refresh rate. Did I do this properly?

I also installed the driver for my Samsung Syncmaster 750s CRT, but that didn't change anything other than add a new registry entry.

Am I missing some registry entries I need to modify? I have spent HOURS searching on the internet for help, and every suggestion has not worked. I keep reading that XP has a bug, but there are suggested fixes that don't work.

Oh, yes, and I also did the following suggested change: "Try adding
    NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage = (dword) 0
    to the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak
    registry key." No help. And I added some nvidia tweak thing that didn't help at all--supposedly you can override default refresh rates, but it won't save the settings. Ack!

6. lindalou1

lindalou1 Private E-2

Do I need perhaps to change setting elsewhere? I am finding the following reg entries:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{88AFE3A7-495E-4127-8AB9-822F23A92133}\0000 Default Settings.VRefresh REG_BINARY 3c 00 00 00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{23A77BF7-ED96-40EC-AF06-9B1F4867732A}\0000 Default Settings.VRefresh REG_DWORD 0x0….1 (1)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{88AFE3A7-495E-4127-8AB9-822F23A92133}\0000 0x0….55 (85)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{88AFE3A7-495E-4127-8AB9-822F23A92133}\0000\Mon11335577 0x0….55 (85)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{88AFE3A7-495E-4127-8AB9-822F23A92133}\0000\Mon11337799 0x0….3c (60)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{23A77BF7-ED96-40EC-AF06-9B1F4867732A}\0000 0x0….1 (1)

etc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds