Mouse pointer "drift" in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdonah, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've installed and am running Windows 8.1 Professional. My mouse pointer has exhibited weird behavior. I can be doing something (surfing, installing, moving files, etc.) and my mouse pointer will "drift" to the upper right corner of the screen (Charms bar) or the lower left of the screen (Start) and once it's in either corner, I can't get it out (at least not immediately by moving the mouse). I've "turned off" the Charms bar but it still will "drift" to Start. How can I stop this from happening? It frustrates me. :(

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

mdonah...

Is it a wireless mouse? Had this happen a couple of time where I thought the PC was being controlled by someone else. Fresh batteries resolved the problem for me in those cases...

3. mdonah

No, it's a USB wired Logitech (Dell) Optical mouse. I'm Bluetooth capable, but don't use it.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Try a different port, different mouse. It isn't Windows.

5. mdonah

It has to be Win 8.1 because I have no mouse pointer issues in XP or Vista. I'm running all three. But, I may have solved it by installing Classic Shell. The mouse pointer hasn't been "taking a walk" since.

6. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

My mouse looses the scroll on the right side only in Win8.1. Same mouse in Vista, 7, and several linux never happens. I still use 8.1 very little.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You guys must have stone age mice. Do they have square trackballs?

8. Imandy Mann

This mouse actually came with the 8.1. Works great all the time with other computers.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Then its gotta be something you have installed or the machine itself.

10. Imandy Mann

Might be. Next time it comes out of time-out I'll look further. It's new so not much installed. And everything I've added is also installed on this vista and the '7. Only things different is 8 and IE11.

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Haha! Your mouse has obviously been looking for the Start button, like everyone else, and it's happy now it's found it :-D

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Good one Earthling! LOL

13. mdonah

OK, so why would it "look" for the Charms bar?. I do use the Start button/Orb in XP and Vista frequently and HAVE used the right click context Start menu in 8.1. Thi is still not providing a possible explanation for the mouse pointer behavior.

14. Imandy Mann

Micro Soft is messing with the mouse driver hooks to the OS to get us all to buy Surface.

15. mdonah

Interesting. Doesn't Surface run 8.1? :confused

16. Imandy Mann

Thought that's what this was about - Mice not working in 8.1 - I've used touch in 8.0 and it worked great with even 2 people stabbing the screen. Mice don't work then more people move to touch machines. Boost sales!

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They are joking.

18. mdonah

Well, Adry. Do you have any insight as to what would cause the mouse pointer issues in Windows 8.1 on a non-touchscreen computer? As I said in a previous post, I seem to have corrected the issue by installing Classic Shell for Win 8/8.1 and "turning off" Charms bar.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I couldn't tell you.

I use 8.1 daily to develop on and it is non-touch. Never had this issue.

My knee-jerk reaction would be to try it in Safe Mode. If it doesn't happen there, then there is an app doing it, maybe even the mouse's software suite from Logitech.

Then it is process of elimination.

Im pretty sure Logitech provides some extra windows 8 features for their mice. I'd suspect one of them.

20. Imandy Mann

Sorry mdonah for just a bit a levity. But your situation and mine sounded so familiar the crazy thought just popped to mind. Made me wonder myself if manufacturers would do suliminal type pranks to steer people?

21. mdonah

Like Miller Lite with it's "subliminal advertising"? Hmmm.

None the less, I'd still like to ger to the bottom of this. I'm running 8.1 from a USB drive which I created using AOMEI Partition Assistant's Windows to go creator feature. The drive is connected to the lower rear USB port on my Dell Precision M70 and the mouse is connected to the port just above it (electrical/magnetic interference?). I use the two side ports for another USB hdd and external super drive and they don't interfere with each other. And, as I've said, I haven't had mouse pointer issues in Vista or XP with everything connected as stated.

22. Imandy Mann

My 8.1 has no ps2 ports so I have to use the back usb for keyboard and mouse. Seems normal though as these have been side-paired devices forever. Well on this Vista I do use a ps2 keyboard and my mouse is side-paired with my wifi dongle's extension cable. Would seem to more chance of interfernce this way but not so? Ardy might have touched on something though about aps as I'm always finding something on 8.1 that loves the internet and haven't narrowed it down yet. And I did notice in 'Window' folder an "Installed Apps" folder that I don't have access to. So still mysteries.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds