Mouse/Touchpad not working properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by enemigoman, Jan 27, 2015.

1. enemigoman

enemigoman Private E-2

Hi,
    The mouse in my Win 8.1 64 bit laptop is not working properly; specifically the buttons. When I move it, the cursor actually moves, but as in slow motion and, as suggested, neither right nor left click buttons work in either the usb-connected cable mouse, nor the laptop's touchpad. Furthermore, I changed the mouse, but the results were the same: slo-mo cursor and no button functions. When asleep, the moving of the cursor does not wake up the laptop.

I have to confess that today is the 10th day that the laptop is on and running an engineering software non-stop. However, up until today, this was not an issue and I had been able to use the laptop normally with said software in the background. What was different today was that I was out all day and did NOT use the laptop normally.

I can anticipate that the easiest solution is to force a shut-down and it is very probable that upon restart, everything will be back to normal. But I need my program to finish runing and it is a good three days away from finishing, but I also need to use the computer on those three days.

Any suggestions?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right click the Task Bar and launch Task Manager. See what you don't need running currently and kill the process. Your symptoms are classic for running out of available RAM so, it may take a while for each process to terminate and free up memory. Once your engineering project is completed, restart the computer and take a look to see if you can increase the amount of RAM in the machine.

3. enemigoman

enemigoman Private E-2

mdonah:

You were absolutely right. I killed the processes that I saw fit and the slo-mo issue was corrected. However, the buttons still did not worked, so I decided to wait and restart.

As expected, after the restart, everything went back to normal.

Thank ou for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds