Move Favorites from C Master to E Slave

Discussion in 'Software' started by LocknLod, Sep 23, 2010.

1. LocknLod

LocknLod Private E-2

Hi,

I'm having a few problems with a Dell Dimensions 3000 with XP-Pro & IE6.

Installed my old Dell's C drive [also XP-Pro & IE6] on this newer machine as slave, and wanted to move slave's IE6 Favorites up to 'new' machine's C drive. Searched all over the web, computer forums, this forum for days for info on how to do this, very little useful info found. I know there's an incredibly easy way, done it before, couldn't rediscover it!

So after wrestling with it for a few days I finally ended up with 2 Favorites folders on C under Administrator, and another Favorites folder on C All Users. One folder in each location had a big yellow star [new machine's Favorites], the other didn't have star [old C drive Favorites file I copied], now slaved to master C.

From there I can't remember now if I used Copy/Paste or dropped the one Favorites on the other, but finally ended up with both folders in current IE6 browser on C drive, apparently in one Favorites folder.

But, opening I still have 2 folders, with my old Favorites only as a drop down menu, below newer Favorites, not merged in as expected. I'd like to change that, or entirely delete newer Favorites folder, but of course maintain old copied Favorites folder.

2nd problem is that it seems impossible to rearrange file items in old Favorites drop down menu. I can drag & drop, but it doesn't take or stick. Open menu again and they've all gone back to neatly alphabetized. I am able to delete from either, but not move files.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Try copying the contents of the old favourites folder into the new folder, not the actual folders. Maintain the old folder in case this does not produce results.

3. LocknLod

LocknLod Private E-2

Thanks! Not real bright here. By that do you mean to open the old favorites folder, highlight all entries to copy as a batch, open new IE Explorer, click new favorites for its drop down and paste into that new favorites window?

Thanks for the help!

4. LocknLod

LocknLod Private E-2

Superb, Collinsl! Worked a treat!!

For the benefit of other poor beggars in the cyberworld: I right clicked Start > left click Explore > left click C drive > left click Administrator > left click Favorites I want to copy [without yellow Star]. This displayed all files in right hand window.

In the upper Tool Bar I clicked Edit > clicked 'Select all' which highlighted all those files displayed > clicked Edit again > clicked Copy.

Went to the Favorites folder with big yellow Star > right clicked and selected Paste.

Window opened to show files transfer progress, and a couple of times asked me: 'A file already exists by the name of XXXXX [and showing creation date] do you want to replace it? On one, selected yes, on another, no.

Closed Explore, closed IE6, reopened IE6 and clicked Favorites and there they all were, located in first drop down! Now of course I need to delete the second popout file under Favorites from my former copy job.

Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds