Move file to beginning of harddrive disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenArrows, Aug 6, 2005.

1. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Hi,
    I own a iRiver h340 mp3 player and the music is displayed in directories. When i enter the music browser it finds the first file on the disk and displays that directory. This has become an annoyance for me as the file it finds first is burried within about 4 subdirectories and i must navigate out of these to start at the root of the dir.

The solution to this problem is to place a file in the root dir and also have this file at the very beginning of the disk.

If you know how this can be accomplished please help me out.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What happens if you copy the file to your C: root drive? Make sure it is there, then rename your old file to *****.old.@@@. Play your new file to make sure it works. The @@@ is something other than what it ends in at present. Don't alter it to *.bak or *.old as CCleaner or other programs will delete it and you may not want that to happen immediately. Bazza

===

3. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

if i change the file extention to anything other than a recognised file type then it just finds the next file on the disk to goes into that dir.

The only solution to this is to place a file in the root dir and the file must be the very first on the disk.

How can i place a file at the very start of the disk?

4. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

5. bigbazza

Read my previous post, again, and follow the steps in the sequence shown in it.
    (1) Make a copy of the file. Paste it into your root directory, usually C:\.
    (2) Rename your original file, in whatever directory it was in, using the method I suggested.
    (3) Run your program and tell us what happens.

It would appear as though the program is doing the right thing and running the files as, and where, it finds them. You may have to shift all files to the one directory to get it to work how you want it, but we will come to that later, maybe. Bazza

===

6. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

I did everything you sugested and nothing changed. It still finds this file in the same dir

Moving everything to one directory is not an option thats just ridiculous.

I came up with a solution. I CUT the file that the player was finding as the first on the disk and moved it to the root dir. Now the player starts in the root dir.

This works because the CUT command does not alter the location of the file on disk it simply alters the FAT(file allocation table) therefor the file was still the first on disk but in a different location in the directory.

I dont know if this is what you were trying to suggest but you didnt explain it well if it was.

7. bigbazza

Glad you succeeded. You obviously did not understand, or follow, my instructions. Bazza

===

8. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

i didnt mean to sound ungratefull bigbazza but through my eyes your instructions didnt seem to have a purpose other then backing up a file and renaming the old file. I dont see how this could have accomplished anything. Maybe im just stupid but i got the problem sorted anyway so thats for your responses.

9. bigbazza

Thanks, D3m3nt3d. That is precisely why I suggested COPY the file, and re-name the old one, in case anything when wrong in the CUT process. I have learned the hard way when CUTting a lot of files, at the same time, and something went wrong. I lost the lot.

COPY, and rename the old one, then delete the old one, is a bit longer, but much safer. Guess I should have widened my suggestion with the reasons behind it. Bazza

===

10. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

fair enough but if you read back on your instructions you never mentiond anything about cutting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds