Move files from hard drive on Windows 7 without reformatting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katemasen, Aug 8, 2012.

1. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that I was running Linux on (Ubuntu 12.4) I had gotten a virus on my netbook and installed Ubuntu so I had a working computer again. Just today, I purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop, 15R, running Windows 7. I put all the files from my netbook onto a seagate external portable hard drive and when I plugged it into my new computer it will not open without reformatting. I need these files off of this, and I know there is a way, I just do not know it. help! Thanks in advance :)

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What file system is the external HD? Did you format it on Linux or did you use the filesystem it came with?

One thought it if you still have the CD you installed Ubuntu from, you could boot the new laptop from that--you don't want to install but use the Try It option to run Ubuntu live off the CD. Then see if Ubuntu can read your external on the new laptop. Create a new folder on the laptop's C: drive probably sda1 or sda2 (It will have both a Windows and Users folder to help you identify the correct drive) and copy your files over to the new folder.

3. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

I did not like the program that came with the hard drive. I only wished to back up certain files because I knew I was getting a new computer so I simply plugged it in and copied and pasted the files onto the external hard drive, just like a thumb drive.

I am not quite sure how to dual boot like you are saying but it makes sense to me so I will try and figure it out.

4. sach2

Dual booting means having two OS installed.
    You don't install Ubuntu. Just boot from the CD and you will get a screen that says Install or Try Me. You want to try it. It will load up Ubuntu in memory but write no files to the HD. The reason for trying this is that since Ubuntu could read the files on the external on the other laptop it should be able to here.

The hardest part shlud be finding the C: drive in Ubuntu but if you ran Ubuntu for a while you probably know how to do that. Like I said the drive will have a Windows and Users folder to help you indentify it. Then just create a new folder for your stuff.

When done just shutdown and eject the CD. Boot back up into Windows7 and your files will be in the new folder on the C: drive.

5. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

I am trying that right now, I will let you know how it works. Thanks!

6. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

Sorry for the double post, I can't figure out how to edit my previous post.
    I tried what you said, but I actually installed Ubuntu (I had been considering running a dual boot anyway.)
    When I got into Ubuntu, I opened my hard drive and eveything was there but I could not move the files to the C:/ drive, it would not allow me to do that.
    What should I do now?

7. sach2

I just tried writing a file to the C: drive from Ubuntu and got no error. What is the error you are seeing?

Try creating a New Folder on C: by right-clicking an empty space in the C: window and selecting New folder. Open the new folder.

Now on the left pane select your external HD and right-click it and select "Open in New Window".

So you should have two file windows open one for the new folder and one with your external HD. Can you drag and drop files from the external to the C: drive?

8. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

When I open the file system, it will not allow me to create a new folder or paste anything into it. I was under the impression the file system was also the C:/ drive but I may be wrong. I was not running a dual boot on my netbook, and I only ran Ubuntu for about three weeks. I still had a lot to learn.

EDIT: It is also telling me there isn't enough room to move the files when I tried to copy them right into documents in Ubuntu.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  9. sach2

I think because you are new, your posts with punctuation such as "C:\" drive are being held up so just use C.

Does your C folder have a Windows and Users folder?

10. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

I don't know if I found my c drive. I thought that the c drive was the filesystem, but it will not let me put files onto it. i can't even move files off of the hard drive and into a folder because it says there is not enough space

11. sach2

I'm having trouble getting my computer to boot Ubuntu so I have to rewrite my USB key with the Ubuntu files. Take about 10 minutes for me to get back in.

Are you certain that when you installed you have a dual boot. You can still get back into Win7?

12. sach2

Ok, I am back in.

When you click on the folder icon to open the file browser--what is listed under devices in the left top pane?

13. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

I am 100% sure I am running a dual boot, I have restarted it. Sorry it took so long to respond, I was in windows last and when I shut down it had 45 updates to install.
    Under devices, I have DELLUTILITY, Recovery, and Sims3 which is in my CD Drive right now.

14. sach2

It looks like Ubuntu is seeing your HD because it showing the Dell recovery partition and the Dell diagnostic partition but it isn't loading/mounting the C: partition. (I don't see your external HD either)

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu as I usually use PartedMagic or Puppy Linux for quick file moves. I'm going to have to experiment to figure out why you aren't seeing those drives, I'm guessing Ubuntu wants to protect C: so one doesn't accidentally remove files.

I notice that when I boot from the CD and use the TRY Ubuntu option that it loads all my drives including C:. Even though you have Ubuntu installed, please boot from the CD and use the Try Ubuntu option to see if it loads all the partitions under Devices. It may be the easiest way.

15. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

When i booted from the cd I didn't have a try option. it installed it immediately.

16. sach2

This should have been easy. I see two ways forward.

1) If you have a blank CD download Puppy Linux and write it to CD. Boot from that but DO NOT INSTALL. It should show all your partitions and devices like external HD at the bottom left of the screen as icons. sda3 is probably your C: drive. sdc1 or sdd1 is probably your external. Clicking on the icons should open a separate file window for each one. Once you find the two correct drives you can drag and drop your files to copy.

2) We can work on getting the external seen in Windows. Partition Wizard may be able to see your external. If you want to try that download the program and install it in Windows. Run the program and look at your Disks. One of them should be the external (Disk2 or Disk3) Double click the large partition and see if it gives you a list of files.

17. sach2

Thinking about it if you are considering Puppy Linux don't. Get Parted Magic instead. Download and unzip the ISO file and then write the ISO file to CD. Boot from it. It has no install option so is a better choice. It will have Computer icon at the top left and should show all your devices.

Then we can see if we can find your files.

18. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

I know the files are there. They are visible when I boot in Ubuntu. I just need them when I boot into Windows.
    I tried to burn that onto a disk but it won't run. I must be stupid.

19. katemasen

katemasen Private E-2

Thank you so much, I think I should just give this to someone who knows more about computers than I do. My neighbor has offered to fix it for me.

20. sach2

Ok, I'm sorry it was more complicated than I had anticipated. I find Ubuntu a bit confusing of the various Linux available.

If you still have problems, post back and I can help you burn the CD. It has to be written as an image file to make it bootable. Let's see how your neighbor does.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds