Move music folder out of Documents

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Oct 29, 2009.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Using Vista Home Premium and I'm having a senior moment. I want to move the Music folder from the Documents folder to its own place in the computer. Is there any reason not to do this? If not, how do I do this? Thanks.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you open the Properties of your Music folder you will see a Location tab. Open that to move the folder to the location you want. You can do this with most of the folders in your User account.

I wouldn't usually openly differ with DomLuc, but it isn't a good idea imo to delete these User folders, as they have special privacy and security characteristics.

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Regardless of which method I choose, I'm afraid I don't know what other "locations" there are. Is the Desktop a "location"? Earthling: When I click Properties for the Music folder, the tabs at the top are: General, Security, Sharing, Customize. No Location.

4. Earthling

I can't explain that, unless you have already done what DomLuc suggested. That would explain it.

I attach examples of what you should see in the properties of your user account folders.

Attached Files:

5. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

To Earthling: Well, I've messed up again. Somehow, I have managed to get two separate, dissimilar music folders into my computer. One is in the Documents folder and the other is in my Users folder. The Users folder Music folder's properties does show the tabs that you listed. There are more songs in the Users folder's music folder than in the other one. If I get the missing songs into the Users folder's music folder, would it be safe to then delete the music folder from the Document's folder? That would accomplish what I want--no music folder in the Documents folder.

6. Earthling

Hi frybo

Yes, perfectly safe to do that, and logical too. Then you can access ALL your music straight off the Start menu. :)

7. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thank you, Earthling, for your persistence, and success, in helping me. And thanks to DomLuc, too, for the reply early on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds