Move Operating System

Discussion in 'Software' started by robroy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. robroy

robroy Private E-2

Hi all, I bought a Time computer system had it 6 months and the hard drive packed in, Got in touch with Time Computers and they had gone bankrupt, and like an idiot I paid nearly £400 for the extended warrenty which is of no use at all now.

Is there any way I can put the old Operating System on to the new Hard drive, At the moment it won't except it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well sir, here's the steps to perform a clean install of an OS

1. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD. (To access BIOS, hit F1, or delete, or whichever key enters setup - it will say on the very first screen after powerup) This setting is under boot sequence, or order, or similar.

2. Insert your OS CD and reboot.

3. For 2000/XP, you will have to hit any key to boot from CD

From there, you can follow the prompts, and it should be as easy as pie!

3. robroy

robroy Private E-2

It won;t except the OS CD, It say something like, this system is not meant for this computer.

Thanks any way.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please answer the following:

What operating system are you currently using?

What operating system are you trying to switch to?

What are your computer's specifications?

5. robroy

robroy Private E-2

Sorry, I don't have that computer conected at the moment, It won't take long if it needs to be.

The OS is the one that came with the computer already installed (Windows XP Home) and all the other programs pre loaded, that is why I want it back on my new Hard Drive.

The Computer AMD 3000+, 2MB DDR Ram,Motherboard RADEON 9550 SERIES any more than that I will have to set the other computer up.

Thanks again.

6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

It sounds like it is not just a Winxp cd. It sounds like it is a restore disk. Some prebuilt systems, like Compaq, look for certain things when you do a fresh install. To make sure it is being used on the system it was sold with. So, since you changed the hard drive, it doesn't recognize it as the right system. I'm not sure if this is your problem or not. However, from what you have said, it does sound like it.

7. robroy

robroy Private E-2

Thank you for your help.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What is written on the Restore CD from Time?

anything like: Time - Recovery Disk 6* ( *insert other numbers here as well ) or Time - Reload CD

I have worked on a Time PC last year that had a dead drive that was replaced, all I did was as Mada Milty posted, was to go into the Bios and set the boot order to 1st boot device as CDROM, pop in the CD and follow the instructions to restore back to default factory install.

The CD wouldnt run from the Windows GUI ( desktop ) it needed to be run from boot.

only other answer is that they have given you the wrong restore CD, has it worked in the past?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds