Move settings from one user to other on the same PC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Generator, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Generator

Generator Private E-2

Hi!
    My user account has been damaged after "admin as guest bug" (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=272903), so after i recovered it, it has some glitches, e.g. i can't uninstall some programs and change some files ("no permission"). I think it is because all of my safety policies have been downgraded to guest level, and bringing it back manually will be a hard job.
    I want to create a new user, how can i bring there old environment settings, program data etc? Moving content of user's folder didn't help. If i use Windows Easy Transfer won't it move corrupt permissions settings to the new user?

Please help rolleyes

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

3. Generator

Generator Private E-2

First, Reset File Permissions ran ok.
    Then i ran Reset File Permissions as old (corrupt) user, but it writes "Unable to set SeSecurity settings privileges".

When i was trying to install Adv.SystemCare, it told me i needed to be admin. My current old user is set to "standard user", so i changed it to admin. No joy anyway. I created a new user and even assigned it as admin. - The same problem.
    I have enough privileges only when i am sitting on Built-In Admin OR Admin that i created from Built-In Admin earlier. Should i sit there forever? I know it is unsafe to be an administrator all the time. So, should i migrate to real admin accounts, how do i move settings then? The 3d level inherited adminstration seems to be not working. WHAT A MESS.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. evilfantasy

With Vista and Windows 7/8 you have UAC. So by default you are in a safer environment then was in XP, 2000 etc. They best key to security is safe and sensible computer use.

I'm not sure how safe it would be since things are so screwed up but have you tried a System Restore to before these issues started? System Restore is pretty much a snap shot of the Windows registry and critical system files so you would be rolling back to a stable environment (as long as the restore works).

There is a discussion here about moving documents in Windows 7. There are some conflicting statements and it sounds like you will need to copy your documents to the new profile. I'm not sure about the settings being transferred though.

5. Generator

Generator Private E-2

Hey! I discovered that i can restore privileges by signing in into Hidden Administrator profile and assigning privileges from there. It's the only option.
    But there's just one safety problem - i gained "full access" to whole disc C and subfolders when i was trying to fix the problem. (Yeah i know its stupid but i was in state of shock haha). Is it safe and How can i undo it?

6. evilfantasy

It sounds like you have the option to display hidden files and folders enabled.

Here is how to show hidden files and folders. You just need to hide them now instead of show them. How to display hidden files and folders

7. Generator

Generator Private E-2

You did not understand me. I told i gained "full access" to whole disc C and subfolders when i was trying to fix the problem. I did it from safety properties of disc C. Is it safe and How can i undo it?

8. evilfantasy

No I'm not understanding. You should be able to access the C drive and see the folders. Some are hidden by default but not all of them. Are you talking about when you go to Computer then double click Local Drive (C: ) ?

9. Generator

Generator Private E-2

I can see all the folders. It's not the problem. I just heard when user owns system folders a virus can use it to infiltrate the system. Is it true? Should i restrict myself from owning sysfolders?

10. evilfantasy

When it comes to malware today the possibilities are almost endless. Even restricting access to critical files/folders is not enough if the person behind the keyboard is not being sensible in web surfing and downloading or opening attachments in emails. Not even the best antivirus can keep a computer malware free if you do not think before you click. Antivirus is a layer of protection. The user is another layer of protection.

Some files are read only and some are read/write. It depends on the file. Windows and some of the software you use needs access to different system files to operate. You do want to keep the Hidden Files and Folders option set to the default (hidden). Those files and folders are hidden for more reason then just malware attacks. They are also hidden so the user(s) don't mess with them by accident. Critical System Files are critical for a stable OS. They really shouldn't be messed with unless you are 110% positive you know what you are doing. Same with the Registry.

As for protecting from malware. See here. How to Protect yourself from malware!

11. Generator

Generator Private E-2

Ok i made sysfiles hidden.
    But still the worse virus is Windows.
    :-D

12. evilfantasy

More like the mouse. Click Click... OOPS!!! :banghead

You may want to check out these articles and be better prepared if or when something else happens.

13. Generator

Generator Private E-2

It is definitely worth knowing, thanks. I think the issue is closed. Thanks 4 help 400 times:wave.

14. evilfantasy

Your welcome.

Safe surfing...:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds