MOVED: Something is causing choppy video from any internet feed

Discussion in 'Software' started by TSXCman, Nov 4, 2010.

1. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

MOVED: from the Welcome forum

Hey guys,

I have been having issues with choppy video from any online source for about 2 years now. Anything from disk or HDD is completely fine.

I recently reformatted my operating drive to get a fresh start and have reinstalled windows XP 32bit. Further changes was upgrading from a 7800gt gpu to a powercolor HD 4850 512mb gpu.

I thought the gpu upgrade would cure my issue since the 7800gt did not support hardware acceleration from adobe flash 10+.

I would like to know where to begin looking? I have been seeking assistance and have received lots of ideas for the last few weeks and I am still coming up short.

Any suggestions and requests would be appreciated.

My current Hardware:

WinXP 32bit
    DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000MHz (10x200) 3800+
    DFI nF4 Series MotherBoard
    nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer Chipset
    2GB DDR2 Ram
    HD 4850 512mb video card (new)
    nVIDIA MCP04 Audio Adapter
    Dual layer DVD reader and writer
    200GB C:
    320GB H:
    500GB Z:
    2x500GB Externals

Drivers:
    As updated as I believe I can do. The cpu and mobo drivers are verrrrry dated, but seem to be the best I can do.

PS: if you had my current hardware, had your XP key still, just reformatted, what steps would you take after freshly installing XP and getting up to service pack 3? I would like to know if I did something wrong. I know my computer can view videos internally, so I would like to watch internet streams at similar quality. I also think that my computer performs worse than my xbox 360 for videogames, which shouldnt be happening either.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you checked Device Manager for notices?
    Also have you went to Windows Updates and checked?
    Those I do before even adding any programs.

3. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

Windows update is for sure caught up.

In Device Manager I get a yellow exclamation mark for 'Other devices' > Raid controller > Ethernet Controller.

I only have my operating drive hooked up for now so I'm not sure if RAID is needed. I have a floppy disc "SATA RAID Drivr Disc nVidia nF4 Silicon Image 3114 Rev.1.0", but I do not have a floppy disc reader on my computer.

As far as my knowledge goes, the ethernet controller is for local area hookups only. I have hardwired into my router via my internet jack.

I also did some reading and found that Device Manager is not capable of looking online for drivers, when the search wizard runs it is simply looking for files or discs with drivers within your computer, so I am wondering how it knows what would really be out of date?

Do you think my ethernet controller and RAID controller are important?

4. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

I installed proper RAID driver now

5. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

Can anyone else think of anything to try?

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Maybe a newer version of FlashPlayer?
    Helped me once when having problems from YouTube.

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, TSXCman.

Agreed with hrlow2 about the Flash. Other suggestions:

You might try a different browser.

Make sure your ethernet controller drivers are up to date - you're correct in assuming that Device Manager may not recognize whether the drivers are current.

8. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

definitely updated shockwave and abobe flash

9. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

Updated ethernet drivers last night manually.

Same situation in all browsers.

10. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

The possibility exists, of course, that the 'choppy video' is a function of your internet connection, and not due to any machine problems.

Check your Shockwave here - does the animation show correctly?

Take a look at your Startup list, make sure that there are no applications that may be 'phoning home' which can cause apparent lags.

You might even run a Speed Test, see if there are any obvious issues.

11. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

Adobe has been up to date since the card upgrade. Shows the image, shows the latest version, etc.

speedtest shows 10.3 mpbs download here (paying for 10 and thats an average anyway).

I have tested a family member's laptop with video and it works perfect. My computer was doing this at my old house for the last couple years. Since that time I could not fix it, and ended up reformatting my computer within the last couple weeks.

about 3-4 years ago I had a power supply burn out, and my motherboard MAY have suffered some damage but I could never get a clear answer.

Could a physical hardware device be involved? its just strange that offline things work fine, and prespooled, buffered, etc, videos don't work well either

12. TSXCman

TSXCman Private E-2

I'll poke around

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds