Moving BOTH Documents & Settings in Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by jldodge, May 13, 2012.

1. jldodge

jldodge Private First Class

I want to move both Documents and Settings to a different Drive. I know how to move My Documents but the process does not work for Settings. I have seen some references to editing the Registry.

Can Settings be moved to another drive in Windows 7? If so, how do I do it? What problems would I encounter in doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Documents and Settings is an XP concept - doesn't exist in Win 7 - so which Win 7 settings folders are you actually referring to?

3. jldodge

I am referring to the User folders which contain documents and various settings that programs load into this folder, including some of the "content" that is downloaded later. Zinio is a great example. They do not use the My Documents but store the magazines in a different directory within the User account. Unfortunately they do not have an archiving process so downloading magazines chews up space on my C drive. I want to limit the C drive to programs only and have ALL content on another drive.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I'm not sure but I don't think this is possible & it would probably break a lot of installed programs.

Can I suggest attempting to change the directory that Zinio downloads to?

5. jldodge

Zinio does not allow you to change the directory (they use the User settings). Also, with my new computer, I will be reinstalling all software AFTER I change the User location (if that is feasible). When I start, the only program installed will be Windows 7.

Zinio is not the only program that saves in User settings but their content is not as voluminous. After changing the User settings, I plan to "copy" the files from a backup of my "dead" PC into the new folders.

Any comments/thoughts/recommendations as to the feasibility of this approach are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think you need to study this by bbearren, I think it comes close to what you want to achieve - the usual caveats about backing up data and using it at your own risk apply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds