Moving files to arbitrary clusters

Discussion in 'Software' started by PeripheralV, Oct 29, 2013.

1. PeripheralV

PeripheralV Private E-2

Greetings,

I'm looking for a utility that will move a given file or group of files to a given location within the filesystem. My goal is to shove all the files at the "left" side (lower byte offsets) of a partition toward the "right" side (higher byte offsets) of the partition, so I can then move the partition itself to the "right" within the hard disk.

I realize that Easeus Partition Master will move and resize partitions for me, but I'm concerned about a power failure during the partition move operation. I can't seem to find any info on the robustness of the many partition management programs out there, freeware, shareware, or otherwise. I have a UPS that will hold my computer up for about 20 minutes if utility power should fail, and I'd like to move files "out of the way" before beginning the actual partition move operation. I figure that my best defense against a power failure is keeping the operation as short as possible, in case my UPS has to step up to the plate.

If there is a program out there that uses the defragmentation API within Windows to move files to arbitrary locations, I suppose that will be safe enough in the event of a power failure. I imagine Microsoft implemented a copy-then-delete strategy in their defragmentation API. I would be shocked if they didn't.

For anyone familiar with Piriform's Defraggler, what I'm looking for is very similar. Defraggler allows you to click on a group of clusters and it will tell you which files are stored in those clusters. If it also offered me the option to click on a group of unallocated clusters and move/copy said files there (with a different filename and/or path, of course), it would be the perfect tool for the job.

Out of respect for people's time, I always try to research before asking questions on forums. A fairly diligent googling campaign on my part has failed to produce satisfactory results for me. Please forgive me if you are able to answer my questions too easily. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds