Moving Files to new 1TB Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rathgar2, May 12, 2008.

1. Rathgar2

Rathgar2 Private E-2

Got me a new 1TB SATA Maxtor and installed it. After doing so my system was having some weird issues which may be unrelated. Perhaps someone out there has had something like it before.

Here is what I have:
    Dell XPS Gen 4
    Original HD C: (80 GB)
    Added Seagate SATA F: & G: (500 GB split into 2 partitions)
    Newest Maxtor SATA H: & I: (1 TB Split into 2 500gb)
    Win XP SP2

I pulled out the "Force 150" jumper on the harddrive. After the install opened the BIOS and setup the drive and booted and it really seemed that no issues were experienced. Then ran a defrag on my C: which needed it kinda badly and at the end of the defrag it reported one file that it could not Defrag. This is where the squirrlyness starts.

So I think, well why not just move the file (a 3GB m2v) to my new drive and then move it back making the system rewrite the file and make it whole (or near whole) again. The copy took a long while and seemed to hang on the last file. I also moved another chunk from the same file that I had no intention of moving back. I discovered that the 3GB file after the move was still in both locations and the properties matched. Tried to open the file again in the App that this file was part of a project and it would not function. Was the file corrupted before the move? Dunno, maybe. I vowed to rebuild the file later (12hour endeavor) and move on.

Next day tried to move 3 DVD project folders, (to make room for new MP3 rips from my CD collection) from F: to H: (newest TB drive) and again the files did not disappear from F: and I do not know if they are corrupted.

While ripping about Mp3's noticed strange behavior in Windows Explorer that may be unrelated. When I loaded a CD into the optical drives the showed up fine in CDEx (ripping program) but the drives in Explorer claimed they were empty.

Weirdness all around. Am I just crazy? Could the "Force 150" jumper being pulled from the new drive cause this mischief? Any Ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds