Moving Outlook content to a new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by IMSA, Dec 20, 2003.

1. IMSA

IMSA Private First Class

Now that my new self-built computer is up and running, I would like to know if there's a way to copy all my Email addresses, address files, contacts and other Outlook content from my old Dell to my new and improved computer. I looked at the File and Setting transfer feature on system tools but don't know if I saw the right thing.

Thanks

IMSA
    geek in training

2. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

search for the outlook.pst files (it will be big!)

It will be in your user directory...

for me the path is :

C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

it is a hiddn file so you may have to change your settings to view hidden files... and then move that file over to the new computer AFTER you have already installed and opened Outlok at least once....

My outlook.pst file is about 36Mb for reference

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Or use Outlook's "import" function. From the top menu: "File", then "Import and Export". Choose "Import from another program or file, then select "Personal folder file (.pst). Finally browse to where your .pst files are that you want to import. Either put them on the new computer somewhere you can find them, or if your two boxes are networked, browse directly to where they are on the old puter. I'd recommend checking the box to "Replace duplicates with items imported" so you end up with one unified system. That will install all your old stuff on the new system. You'll still need to tweak some of your preference settings, but all your content, accounts, contacts, etc. will be imported.

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

This will not import pw info. I have my pw saved as a plain text, printed hard copy....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds