Moving PC internet connection from router to modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gator957, Jan 17, 2013.

1. gator957

gator957 Private E-2

I have a Linksys router hooked up to my Centurylink Modem . My PC is currently connected to the interent through the router and when I try to move it to the modem I get the little or no connectivity error message and can not connect to interent . I have unplugged modem , turned computer off moved ethernet cable from router to modem turned modem and computer back on but still get the same message . I still have router hooked to modem because I have other things hooked up to it but just for fun I had also completly unhooked router from modem just to see if I could connect to modem When I run the ipconfig/all from the command prompt it still keeps the default gateway from the router even though I have the obtain obtain IP address and DNS server automatically . When I try to ping from a command prompt I do not get return packets When I manually put in the IP address ,Subnet ,IP address and default gateway from Centurylink instead of letting it obatin automatically it will connect according to the LAN data but I still can not get to internet . When I ping the IP from the command prompt I get the return packets like it is connected but still can not get to the interent . Once I move the ethernet cable back to the router I have a connection and am back on the internet . I am trying to get rid of my router and hook all connections to the DSL modem but am not able to . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You won't be able to do this. You only get one IP address from your ISP provider. The router allows you to share this address among your devices without it only one device can be connected to the modem. Beside that the router offers you some protection from the Internet that the modem alone does not.

3. gator957

gator957 Private E-2

jconstan- thanks for getting back with me . I have eliminated routers in several other of my locations and just hooked everything up to the Centurylink modem instead without a problem. In the past I ran the enternet cable from the DSL modem to the router and plugged most everything into the router that I needed to get DSL for . I have been eliminating the routers with the newer modems as they come with more ports and wireless which eliminates my need for routers unless in the future I add more devices to. At this paticular location when I try to switch the PC to the modem and unhook the router it will not connect to internet as I discussed in my post

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The reason you are able to remove the EXTERNAL router is because your particular modem has a router built in. This is common if you tell the ISP you want or need wireless when you order the service. In your particular case adding the EXTERNAL router is redundant.

However, I do stand by my original statement. You can not attach multiple IP devices to a MODEM, because a modem lacks the components to share IP addresses among multiple devices. Unless you have business class service where the ISP has provided multiple IP addresses for your use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds