Moving Program Files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hinkydink, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Hinkydink

Hinkydink Private E-2

While installing the programs and updates to my ASUS Z97-A motherboard on a new build, I inadvertently (read that stupidly) installed them into the drive that I intended to be used only for Windows. Is it possible that I can safely move the Programs Files and Programs Files (x86) into the data drive?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, Hinkydink. Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

You should be able to uninstall them from the Windows drive and re-install them to the data drive. I'd use something like Revo Uninstaller though to make sure to remove all traces (the app itself and any folders, files and registry values) so there are no conflicts/problems with the re-installation.

3. Hinkydink

Hinkydink Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that this might be a good way, however I don't think that I have the expertise to go back and remove all traces of the app, folders files, etc. Since I have only Windows 7 and the updates, plus things like Google and other program files, what would be the pitfalls of just re-installing Windows 7 custom, and allowing it to format the drive, then re-installing the motherboard related data and files? I am assuming that Windows did not partition itself off in the drive.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's why I recommended Revo Uninstaller or something similar. You'd run it in advanced mode and it would remove the app (using the apps built-in uninstaller — which would leave remnants) any other files and folders and the registry values associated with the app leaving the Windows drive clean. You'd then re-install the apps to the data drive so that everything would be rewritten to indicate the new location.

I've run Revo on a 32-bit system for about three years without problems but, you've got a 64-bit system so, you may need something like Total Uninstaller especially if your apps are 64-bit like your system is.

I can't see any "pitfalls" with re-installing Win 7 from scratch and starting over with your app installation except the amount of time it would take. But, if you've got the time and want to do it this way, it's your choice and your computer.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. Hinkydink

Hinkydink Private E-2

Thanks JoeRay12 but I am still concerned with any uninstaller leaving remnants that I don't have the expertise to seek them out and get rid of them. Is there a danger with GeekUninstaller? Thanks

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Why don't you use Revo Uninstaller Pro?
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

8. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

I give GeekUninstaller a :highfive. Have had no issues with it or left-overs after a year's use... and doesn't require installation.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've not had any problem with Geek Uninstaller either for the short time I've been using it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds