Moving Settings from XP to Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by stanger53, Feb 19, 2009.

1. stanger53

stanger53 Private E-2

I have a Dell with XP Home that I have been using for some time. In a few days, I will be getting a newer Dell that has Vista Home Deluxe.

I know you can use a wizard and save all your IE settings and emails and passwords - all the regular settings I want to keep and not lose. I have done this before when I re-formated my HD and started up fresh.

Question is - if I save all my Settings, using the wizard in XP, and burn it to CD, when I try to load my settings into Vista, will it work?

One time I tried doing this on a reformat and it wouldn't work. It said that I saved my settings on a different version of XP than the XP that was on the reformatted computer, so it wouldn't take. Lost all my old emails and settings.

I am concerned that I will not be able to transfer my settings from XP to Vista. Will I have a problem?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds