Moving to 4K monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DOA, Aug 17, 2014.

1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Asus now has $600 USD 4K 28" monitors at 60Hz.
    Well within the realm of consideration if you need the clarity. Any of the top rated video cards can power these monitors at 4K.
    Has anyone tried Win7 or even 8 with a 4K monitor?
    What desktop tweaks are needed in Win7 besides the font size?
    I am also asking around at Asus's forums but they seem very game oriented. AutoCAD is so much better on this monitor I am pretty sure the whole engineering department will get them so I want to be ready.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

OK, talking to myself again...
    When you get one of these you have to manually set the display port protocol to 1.2 or forever be stuck at 30 Hz. My Asus had substantial tearing and other problems in and out of games. Hidden three layers down in the onscreen monitor menu is the option for display port 1.1 or 1.2. Setting 1.2 (which my card supports) allows my desktop to run at 60 Hz which cleared up all movie, browser (utube, etc) and game tearing.
    One would think the best connection protocol would be detected, but it is not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds