Moving to a new case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roxlo, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Roxlo

Roxlo Private E-2

Hello there. This is my first post, so take it easy on the noob.

I wanted to move all of the components inside my case right now to a new case, quieter case, specifically the Antec Sonata Elite (http://www.amazon.com/Antec-SONATA-...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280342711&sr=8-16)

I was wondering if everything would work with the new case? Here is my component list:

Gigabyte S3 motherboard
    Core 2 Duo E8400
    Nvidia 9600GT
    2 gig ram
    Antec power supply (Either 650 or 850, I forgot).

Is the process simple, or complicated? Can I move everything by unscrewing and screwing in the new case, or will it require other stuff?

Just wanting to know what I'm getting myself into before hand. :innocent

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Welcome to the forum

yeah all should fit fine, its a good case, good airflow and plenty of drive bays.

No the process is pretty straight forward, just take it really slow and what I would suggest is to draw how everything fits together as it is now, even have some colours sticky labels to put on the cables so you know what goes where.

Nope just a few good screwdrivers of varying sizes, and remember to earth yourself before touching any parts (static can be a component killer).

Do you have a spare PC to allow you to get on the internet while you are doing this? if so great as you can always repost in this thread of your for advice, also a camera is good in case we need pics of the parts and where they are so we can advise.

But you will be ok, just go slow and take it one step at a time.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Roxlo

Roxlo Private E-2

Awesome, will do!

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi, welcome to Major Geeks

Looks like a nice case!

If I might add a simple suggestion...

As long as you are ordering the case from Amazon, you could pick up a grounding wrist strap also, which will make everything less risky as far as the static electricity goes. The one I have (and use every time I'm inside a computer) is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anti-S...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280379082&sr=8-1

To use, clip it to a metal part of the case you are removing components from (and attach it to your wrist!), lay each part on a nonconductive surface (wood, ceramic tile, etc. -- NOT plastic) without touching each other, then clip the strap to the new case before moving all the parts into it.

5. Roxlo

Roxlo Private E-2

Hey guys. A few updates -

I got my case today (amazon prime shipping is lightning fast, got it in less than 2 days)

The transfer of the components went very smoothly. As suggested, I used an anti-static wrist strap - that made me feel more secure :p.

Everything is working fine and the case is excellent, I just have one thing to ask though.

When I start up my computer, I get a dialog that says "Nvidia Power warning" - Your card is not receiving sufficient power. Ensure that your Nvidia graphics card has the supplemental power connector attached. What is this supplemental power connector? I don't think I had that on my old case, but it never told me to add more power. It runs fine and I haven't really noticed any performance drops. I have a 650W thermaltake PSU if that matters.

Thanks.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Glad everything went smoothly. Your graphics card has a supplemental power connection (6 pin). Your PSU should have a 6 pin connector that goes directly TO your graphics card.

7. Roxlo

Roxlo Private E-2

Got it, thanks again. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds