Moving to new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fst-tlk, May 18, 2010.

1. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

My new desktop will be here tomorrow. My old one still runs, but is VERY old & slow. Will I be able to make a smooth transition simply by restoring my Roxio backup or would it be better if I purchase a copy of PC Mover? I'd like to accomplish the move as painlessly as possible.

Thx, Gini

2. derron

derron Private E-2

Just put the old Hard Drive in the new one and grab your files off of that Drive.

Make sure you put the old harddrive in the right setting, not master.. look on the back of the Drive and it will explain how to set the jumpers.

Or maybe you can just add the drive and not mess with the jumpers... my memory is shot about this (went to a technical institute and went over this, just can't remember)

anyways go here for some good instructions... http://askbobrankin.com/add_a_second_hard_drive.html

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I take it that your new PC already has a HDD installed, with an OS on it?

If so then just put the old drive in and move the files over, but if you are buying a new PC, then it most probably used a SATA connection and not the old IDE, so don't worry about master/slave as said below.

4. derron

derron Private E-2

That is why I said my memory was shot about that. I should get back to my courses... lol

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Get doing some serious reading, dont post things you are unsure of, you could end up costing someone a load of cash.

6. derron

derron Private E-2

That is why I gave and recommended the site and said that I was NOT sure.

7. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

Old PC: 256MB ram (LOL) & 155GB HD (23GB used), Windows XP.
    New PC: 3GB ram & 320GB HD, Windows 7 Home.

My concern is moving installed programs (MS Office, WordPerfect, etc.) without having to reinstall all the software & re-configure.

I've done a Roxio Backup My PC & also have a Clickfree backup of the files.

Gini

8. derron

derron Private E-2

well, in that case.. I will let the master take over, I might end up killing your computer..

hope you get this all working, good luck.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not move installed programs. You need to do a clean install all your programs. Be prepared if the programs came installed on the old computer and you do not have installation disks, you might not be able to install them on another computer.
    The only exception to this is if you are putting a new hard drive into the same computer. If the hardware is the same then the installed programs will continue to work. But not only do you have different hardware, you also have a completely different OS.

10. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

Would purchasing PC Mover solve the moving programs problem? Gini

11. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Not unless both computers are identical, as plodr has said. Sorry, but the best option is to reinstall the programs.

12. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

They sell these things at radio shack, it is a external box, that connects to USB port, then you can plug in your old IDE drives, and pull files off, kinda' like an external HD, but I think its called external IDE connector or something, 39.99 here in TN. I bought one for working on older CPU's that still have IDE's. As far as the programs go you'll have to re-install them all., unless you tinker with your REGEDIT, but thats a lil' much. good luck.

13. fst-tlk

fst-tlk Private E-2

It was a little tricky, but I got 'er done! Reinstalled all software & imported files from the Clickfree backup (sure glad I had that!). Was pretty smooth, actually. Took app. 5 hrs. (with a few interruptions). PC Mover advertising is misleading & I'm sure glad I check with y'all before buying it. I was under the mistaken thought that all I'd have to do is click on something like "move this entire PC to new PC" then "install everything from old PC to new PC" & presto, it'd be a done deal. Boy, was I dreaming. That'd have been waaay too easy!

Thx for all the advice. Y'all got my head back on straight!

Gini

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds