Mozilla Thunderbird and Yahoo Mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimkata, Apr 25, 2004.

1. jimkata

jimkata Private E-2

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm trying to use Mozilla Thunderbird as an e-mail client to download my mail from yahoo mail. I'm also using a program called YahooPOPs (from MG) to help configure Mozilla. Anyway, I followed the instructions for configuring Mozilla, but I keep getting an error message "Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server localhost responded: cannot connect to POP server localhost: 110, self connecting."
    I'm running XP pro, and Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+
    Any help would be apprecitated!

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?

No. Netscape WebMail and Hotmail use proprietary protocols. To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. There are also freeware applications available that will let you do the same thing, such as Hotmail Popper.

Another example is Gotmail, which is a utility to non-interactively download email from a Hotmail account. It can download messages from all folders, messages from certain folders, or new messages only. There are options to delete downloaded messages or mark them as read. Gotmail can forward messages to other email addresses or save them as local mbox-style mailboxes.

Of course, you can access your WebMail account on the Web at http://webmail.netscape.com/, or Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com/. If you use Microsoft Messenger, clicking on the appropriate link will open your default browser and take you to your inbox.
    Check it out here
    http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html
    :) :cool:

3. Troy

Troy Private E-2

Is your YahooPop updated mate? Yahoo frequently changes some XML schemes to prevent such pop connections. So get your proggy updated.

Next you might require setting pop server address to 127.0.0.1

4. jimkata

jimkata Private E-2

updating yahoo pops

Hey Troy
    I did update yahoo pops...and the Bind on I.P. address is 127.0.0.1. I was wondering about setting the server name setting to "localhost" (as yahoo pops help advised)...should it be changed to something else?

5. Troy

Troy Private E-2

Yaa mate you can try setting it to localhost. One thing, does this happen with Thunderbird or all email clients? I haven't used Thunderbird but I have a feeling it may not allow connecting to 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

6. jimkata

jimkata Private E-2

I have only tried Thunderbird...any advice on clients that DO allow this sort of thing?

7. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I also use yahoo pops one thing I found out is

if you are running a spam checker which has taken over your port 110 then it is not allowing yahoo pops to use port 110 therefore you have two programs trying to use the same port.

that was the problem I had. In order for me to be able to use yahoo pops I had to uninstall my spam program.

There are some instructions that can be used on the help menu of yahoo pops but it only tells you how to configure two spam programs.

none unfortunately were the one I used

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds