Mozilla Thunderbird newbie, I can't send email, but I can receive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by db cooper, Dec 19, 2006.

1. db cooper

db cooper Private E-2

This is really frustrating! Any help is appreciated.. I just started using Thunderbird recently, and I have no problems receiving emails, but I have not figured out how to SEND email yet.. when i try to send an email it prompts me for a password, which i enter, but it doesnt take.. and after a few tries it tells me:

"Sending of message failed"
    "The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server failed. The server may be unavailable or rejecting SMTP connections
    ."

i dont get it.. i know for a fact that im entering my correct email password, so i'm at a total loss..

BTW: I use 1and1.com for my email, if that makes any difference. I've read their FAQ's and I still can't figure out what the heck i'm doing wrong..

1and1.com also says: "To send e-mail using the SMTP-Server, activate SMTP Authentication. Please do not use the Secure Password Authentication (SPA) option. "

but I can't find anything in Thunderbird that says anything about SMTP authentication.. am i looking in the wrong places? (i went to account settings and looked at all the options) -- i see it has my outgoing server listed as smtp.1and1.com and it gives me the choice to use it or "Use default server".

thanks in advance for any help!

2. db cooper

db cooper Private E-2

nevermind, i finally figured it out.. geez, that was frustrating.. i finally found the outgoing SMTP info at the bottom of my "Account Settings" sidebar thing, and was able to put in the correct info.. I believe my problem is solved for now..

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds