MP3 Compression to smaller file

Discussion in 'Software' started by olivernatividad, Feb 8, 2006.

1. olivernatividad

olivernatividad Private E-2

Hey guys, i need help. I'm trying to transfer mp3 to my nokia 6260. But the files are just too big. any chance there's a free program out there that can compress mp3 music to a smaller file?:eek:

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well there are certainly plenty of compressions programs but as mp3 files are pretty well compressed already you won't get them much smaller than they alreay are. :rolleyes:

3. olivernatividad

so there is no way to compress it anymore right? even if the quality is sacrificed? Cause I have a few friends who have like an mp3 player in their nokia cellphones and still can get to compress the mp3 files so it can fit the memory card of their phones... I don't know exactly how they did it thou... wish i could ask them. Problem is, they've moved to another country...

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

You may want to recompress the MP3, using a smaller compression ratio, like 96k, or 64k. Perhaps smaller. The smaller the compression ratio it is the lower quality the mp3 will be, also the smaller the file will be.

5. olivernatividad

recompress? that's seems to be a good idea. I get the concept but i don't know how to do that thou... sorry... can you tell me?

6. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

I think the sort of program you need is a bitrate changer. Seeing as how you're transferring this to a phone, the loss in sound quality shouldn't matter.
    Are you trying to set it as a ringtone, or as music?
    Try this.
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/..._and_Editors/4Musics_MP3_Bitrate_Changer.html
    Lowering the bitrate will have a negative effect on sound quality, but the file will be much smaller.
    If you're after listening to music, you should see if your phone can take wma or other format files instead of MP3s. These are smaller and of better quality.

7. olivernatividad

I'll try that. am actually transfering it as music rather than as a tone...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds