MP3 Showing As USB Mass Storage and Won't Assign Driver Letter

Discussion in 'Software' started by connor595, Jan 4, 2011.

1. connor595

connor595 Private E-2

I am a newbie. Running XP Home on Dell Latitude 620. Drivers are up to date per Dell update scan. My new MP3 player is loading as USB Mass Storage and not assigning a drive path. Called tech support for the MP3 player and they said it is a IRQ double booking error common in XP. They tried troubleshooting but when I right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, the system just sticks and nothing is ever found so I cannot manually change the drive letters and path. No software came with MP3 player as it's suppose to be a drop and drag.

I'm thinking that maybe I also have a virus issue going on??? Running AVG Free 9.0.

Please HELP!!!

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Sometimes there is a conflict between old drivers on your computer and the device you are trying to plug in. Please see this post. Be sure to get the 32bit version from the zip file and place it in C:\Windows\System32 as noted. And, run it in an admin account. Reboot and plug in your device. Hopefully it will now be seen and given a drive letter.

USB Mass Storage Device Problems? How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds