MPEG won't play anymore :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by jroope, Jan 3, 2006.

1. jroope

jroope Private E-2

After installing QuickTime with my kid's I-Pod (I know - QT is a beast) all my media players (except VLC) lost the ability to render an MPEG file. Where all my players used to do just fine, I now get garbled pixels or black screen. I have tried uninstalling / re-installing QT, WMP10, Media Player Classic, as well as K-Lite - no luck. Luckily VLC works just fine, but I don't like having my system screwed up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No surprises there.
    Sounds like a codec issue? Have you tried un/reinstalling divx, or anything of the sort?

3. jroope

jroope Private E-2

Yeah - I am assuming codec conflicts - I have uninstalled / reinstalled the k-lite mega codec package, as well as Stinky's MPEG2 codec. For what it is worth, the files it won't render are SVCD Mpegs

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Use something like GSpot or Video Inspector to see if you have the necessary codecs and they aren't corrupt.

Although QuickTime is a POS, I would be more suspicious of codec packs.

They should never be used unless you know which exact codec/s you require and can install them individually as they are notorious causing problems.

5. jroope

jroope Private E-2

I agree - I rather suspect either QT or K-Lite messed with my codecs. Their install programs don't like each other.

I now have the Windows Media Player reading the files from my HD, but WMP will not play DVDs.

Codecs are certainly the issue - so how does one go about cleaning out all codecs and starting fresh?

John

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Windows Media Player will play DVD's, but it needs the codecs to do so.

Because there are dozens of licenced codecs, (with each extolling their virtues for commercial gain), and they aren't generally free, Micro$$oft is too cheap to supply them, but WMP will use codecs from other programs if installed.

Go to Add/Remove and see if there is an entry for all your codec packs and uninstall them. (or start menu if they aren't there)

Then use the tools I suggested earlier and it will scan your PC and tell you what is installed and required etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds