MS 2000 Professional Start-up problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by bkw80, Oct 6, 2007.

1. bkw80

bkw80 Private E-2

After a power outage, my PC could not start Window 2000 professional.
    Steps taken:
    -- applied Last Known Good Configuration without success
    -- 2000 will run in safe mode. the following comments are in the event log.

Service Control Manager/ COM + Event System Service failed: No attempts to start tje service since last boot.
    Event: 7001

The mouse reset failed. Source i8042prt. Event ID: 16

The server 1BE1F766-5536-11D1-1-B726-00C04FB926AF did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    Source DCOM: Event: 10010

-- I attempted to reload 2000. When in non-safe-mode, the following error occurs.

stop 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0XEB6079FA, 0X00000000, )x000000118, mode-exception-not-handled
    Address EB6079FA base at EB607000, datestamp 4GCAL08d-ohctusb.sys
    Beginning dump of physical memory

I cannot access the internet when running in safe-mode-networking?

The goal at this point to get the PC back up and running, even if that requires a clean reload of 2000. Any help is much appreciated.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As I was reading through your post, I was thinking "are you using a USB mouse?". Then toward the end I see that the error message mentions a USB driver file 'ohctusb.sys'. USB ports use "live" voltage; 5 volts. Power outages or surges can cause USB problems or USB outtages because of this voltage use. This, in turn, has caused a possible driver problem (or so it would appear). If you are using a USB mouse and/or keyboard, get your hands on a PS2 keyboard/mouse and plug 'em in (with PC turned off, of course) and unplug ALL USB devices. Upon powering up, go into your BIOS and disable all the on board USB ports. This alone may allow you to boot normally into Windows. If you need USB, you can always get a PCI expansion card with up to 5 ports for under $30. If you do boot successfully into Windows, then the problem is solved. If not, boot in Safe mode and disable/uninstall the USB drivers for the on board USB ports. Go into the device manager. If you have any other USB devices (printers, scanners, etc) you should probably uninstall those drivers too from Add/Remove Programs. Keep in mind that if the on board USB was damaged by the power outage, there may be other components that were damaged....

3. bkw80

bkw80 Private E-2

dlb, I'm using 2 usb's, 1 for the mouse, 1 for wireless connection.

I 1st entered BIOS setup and turned off the 2 usb's.
    I uninstalled the wireless software and unplugged it from the usb. I removed the usb mouse and used a non-usb mouse in its place. I'm still at the same failure point, with the same error statements. I could not find a driver for the usb mouse to remove. Do I need to find the driver for the usb mouse and remove it...if yes, how do I find it?
    thanks for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds