MS Java and Sun Java Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbpathd1, Aug 28, 2009.

1. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

Coming from the Malware Forum, I am almost done with the Sticky: How to Protect yourself from Malware! on my Compaq computer. I need advice on getting rid of MS Java.

I found both Sun Java and MS Java on the computer. I had had 10 old SJ versions. I removed all via Add or Remove Programs and updated to JRE 6 Update 16. SJ works great in all three browsers: Mozilla, ATT Yahoo and IE6.

I noticed the Sun Download Manager—do I need it for anything?

On reading past posts re Java, I came across Major Attitude’s post on Re: How well do you know your MG site?
    I clicked the link for it but it goes to a different topic: EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition 4.0.1. JavaRA is at http://majorgeeks.com/JavaRA_d5982.html now.

I was wondering if this utility is still recommended and if I could have run it once instead of individually removing the 10 SJ items.

When I was adjusting the Active X settings, on this computer I noticed MS Java there had the choices custom, disable, low security, medium security, and high security (choice marked). Would choosing disable here be equivalent to doing either of the procedures to remove MS Java in the sticky?
    Download and run the MSJVM Removal Tool 1.0a
    OR
    select Start > Run and Enter "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall" in the Open box, and click ok.

Or is it the very presence of any MS Java files that make it susceptible to malware?

I have not yet tried to remove MS Java because of the problems I encountered on my other computer--could not remove MS Java entirely and could not get Sun Java to work in IE6. Since SJ works great in all three browsers: Mozilla, ATT Yahoo and IE6 on this computer, I am looking for suggestions on the best way to do away with MS Java.

2. samtal

samtal Corporal

From Chaslang:

8) Uninstall Microsoft Java and Replace with Sun Java

You may already have Sun Java if on a newer OS or a newer PC. Just get the current version of Sun Java installed. The link to it is given below.

Microsoft no longer supports Java and it is often a source of installed spyware and hijacks so it is a good idea to remove Microsoft Java Virtual Machine and Install Sun Java. To remove it follow these steps.

* Select Start > Run and Enter "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall" in the Open box, and click ok.
    * Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the Microsoft VM
    * When prompted, reboot the computer
    * Remove the following items: (Systemroot is where windows is installed (usually C:\Windows)
    o The \%Systemroot%\Java folder
    o The file java.PNF from the \%Systemroot%\inf folder
    o The files jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%Systemroot%\system32 folder
    o The registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Java VM
    o The registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ InternetExplorer \ AdvancedOptions \ JAVA_VM

* As an alternative to the above steps you can try the below tool to remove MS Java. Download and run the MSJVM Removal Tool 1.0a

* Note Windows 98 or ME users, you cannot use the current version of Sun Java, you must use one of the older 5.0 update versions. The last one is available here: Sun Java Runtime Environment (9x\ME)
    * Skip this item if running Win 98 or ME. Now install Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp When you install this latest version of Sun Java, be sure to uncheck the options to install the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer and Google Desktop (that is unless you want this additional baggage). Be sure to use the option to Test your Java Virtual Machine (JVM) when you finish. It will only take about a minute and it verifies your installation is good.

Make sure you check that you have the lastest version of Sun Java installed by clicking the link. If you have an older version, install the new version and then remove all old versions. It would also be a good idea empty the Sun Java cache periodically because many baddies will store themselves there.

You can choose a different language if you need it from the top menu on that page. (Any files or registry entries not found or errors can be ignored and go to the next step)

3. samtal

samtal Corporal

From Chaslang:http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

8) Uninstall Microsoft Java and Replace with Sun Java

You may already have Sun Java if on a newer OS or a newer PC. Just get the current version of Sun Java installed. The link to it is given below.

Microsoft no longer supports Java and it is often a source of installed spyware and hijacks so it is a good idea to remove Microsoft Java Virtual Machine and Install Sun Java. To remove it follow these steps.

* Select Start > Run and Enter "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall" in the Open box, and click ok.
    * Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the Microsoft VM
    * When prompted, reboot the computer
    * Remove the following items: (Systemroot is where windows is installed (usually C:\Windows)
    o The \%Systemroot%\Java folder
    o The file java.PNF from the \%Systemroot%\inf folder
    o The files jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%Systemroot%\system32 folder
    o The registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Java VM
    o The registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ InternetExplorer \ AdvancedOptions \ JAVA_VM

* As an alternative to the above steps you can try the below tool to remove MS Java. Download and run the MSJVM Removal Tool 1.0a

* Note Windows 98 or ME users, you cannot use the current version of Sun Java, you must use one of the older 5.0 update versions. The last one is available here: Sun Java Runtime Environment (9x\ME)
    * Skip this item if running Win 98 or ME. Now install Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp When you install this latest version of Sun Java, be sure to uncheck the options to install the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer and Google Desktop (that is unless you want this additional baggage). Be sure to use the option to Test your Java Virtual Machine (JVM) when you finish. It will only take about a minute and it verifies your installation is good.

Make sure you check that you have the lastest version of Sun Java installed by clicking the link. If you have an older version, install the new version and then remove all old versions. It would also be a good idea empty the Sun Java cache periodically because many baddies will store themselves there.

You can choose a different language if you need it from the top menu on that page. (Any files or registry entries not found or errors can be ignored and go to the next step)

4. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

Samtal, thanks for trying to be helpful, but I do not need another copy of the Sticky: How to Protect yourself from malware! I can probably recite almost the whole thing from memory at this point.

What I am looking for is specific answers to my specific questions. Any Java experts out there?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds