MS Office / Excel Experts

Discussion in 'Software' started by foogoo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Everytime I open Excel it adds blank buttons to the toolbar. When I mouse over them they say 'custom' & do nothing. So if I go into customize toolbars and delete them and close Excel.. next time I open excel it draws 3-4 more.. so I let it go until that toolbar gets to long then go back and customize and delete them.
    So what I am asking is where is Excel getting the idea to add 3-4 buttons evertime I open the program?

If I didnt make it clear these buttons are accumaltive..3, then next open 6, then next open 9.. and so on...
    URGH! I cant take it no more!

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I'm only having a wild guess here, and it's for Excel 2003, but try going to Tools, Customize, then select the toolbar button and click Reset.

3. foogoo

Sorry, its 2002 and I have done that(it does remove the buttons during that run) and done a repair of office.. yet everytime Excel launches the buttons are added... anyone know where the code is that Excel executes at open for customizing???

4. khpostma

khpostma Private E-2

go to Tools - Macros - Macros and check if there are any macros showing. If so it is possible it contains code that does something as described.

5. foogoo

I got it ... just to share the answer with everyone.. its in
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart
    They are customizations that end in .xla ... thanks to google & MSDN.. just took a while to hit the right key words..lol
    Delete them and no more blank buttons expanding in the toolbar..woohoo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds