ms office freeware

Discussion in 'Software' started by repsak, Apr 3, 2008.

1. repsak

repsak Private E-2

I see MS is offering some office tools freeware, like OfficeSuite, if I'm understanding it correctly. Has anybody tried this yet? Is it pretty much the same thing as the very expensive purchased product? Is it truly compatible with the real thing?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You're not understanding it correctly. MS is not offering some office tools freeware, if, by "office tools", you mean MS Office, or even MS Works.

However, OpenOffice is a freeware alternative to MS Office. And, it's compatible with MS Office up through Office 2003. And, I understand a forthcoming version of OpenOffice will be compatible with MS Office 2007. OpenOffice is not a Microsoft product.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

MS does offer some free tools to be used with Office if you already have it installed. The tools don't work without MS Office, nor do they work with OpenOffice. However, OpenOffice is an EXCELLENT application. It fully supports Office documents including PowerPoint and Excel. There are two versions, both are free and open source:
    OpenOffice.org (127 mb) http://www.majorgeeks.com/OpenOffice.org_For_Windows_d3461.html
    OxygenOffice Professional (214mb) http://www.majorgeeks.com/OxygenOffice_Professional_d5340.html

4. repsak

repsak Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I have tried OO, and it doesn't seem to work with Vista. It installs an icon, but I never get the actual program, just the option to keep on installing it. I'll keep on looking for somthing that is compatible with Vista and MS as well.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is compatible. Make sure you are installing java, too.

6. repsak

repsak Private E-2

Thanks much for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds