MS Office Standard Edition 2003 in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I am trying to install a genuine copy of MS Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003, on my Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit OS laptop.

I get the error " The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom ....
    .... Insert the "Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003... " when I try and run Excel, for instance.

I insert the CD, MS office continues OK, and Excel works.

What I want to know is:
    1. Why doesn't setup.exe install whatever it is in the first place? :confused
    2. What is the "feature" that is missing. :confused
    3. An uninstall and re-install doesn't fix it. :(
    4. How can I solve this missing "feature".

It is a PITA to have to keep digging out the CD.

Hope you can help.
    Thumbnail attached.

Bazza

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Couple of things you might try: install Office SP3, check for any updates via MS Update, then install the Office Compatibility Pack - from what I understand, it's important to install these in the correct order given.

I'll keep digging.

3. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

Had the same problem with office 2000. I updated my computer, w98, to xp. My fix was to copy the whole cd to a folder on the desktop. Then when the extra file was needed for the first time, and it ask for the cd, I changed where to look for the files....worked for me, might work for you......wobbles

4. Caliban

That might be a simple patch, there, Wobbles! ;)

If so, then this could be a path problem. Any virtuals or drives installed lately?

5. bigbazza

Thanks guys, for your suggestions. ;)
    I will run updates first and see what happens.:)
    No changes to virtuals, or drives.
    Bazza

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Also do a custom install (can choose default from this) and allow it if asked to save the backup MSO files to HDD as Office 2003 works ok with Windows 7, some users have had issues with Outlook component mind, but latest updates to Windows 7 Application Compatabilty should ahve resolved those.

Dont run the installer via autoplay, open the CD and run the Setup.exe as the Autoplay function on older apps are funky at times with Win7.

7. bigbazza

I tried to install Office 2003 SP3 and it crashed at the same place (twice). :cry

See thumbnail.
    I haven't contacted MS yet.
    Any further ideas before I contact MS?

Bazza

Attached Files:

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You are running the installation in an administrator account, or elevated, right?:)

9. bigbazza

Yes collins, first time as normal user, second time as Administrator.
    It crashed with the same error, both times. :cry

Bazza

10. Caliban

Bazza, clean up everything you've tried, copy the contents of the Office CD to a folder, and run the .exe from there - this problem pops up a lot in forums about Win 7 vs. Office 2003.

Haven't been able to duplicate my search from before, where I found the MS article about the updates, but I did find this one, might help while I'm still digging.

11. bigbazza

I've gone ahead and installed MS Office 2003 and Office 2003 SP3 i(as Administrator) ignoring the error that cropped up in both.

All appears OK so far. :confused

Will run both Word and Excel over the next week or so and see what happens.

Bazza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds