MS outlook 6 killed inbox and outbox messages

Discussion in 'Software' started by kiat, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kiat

kiat Private E-2

Hello,
    We opened OE 6 and found that the inbox was empty. I checked message store and it appears to be there (is huge 2 gig)
    Messages from the last year are missing from the sent box as well.
    I tried an online recover tool but it didn't work right. Only old messages were recoved...
    Desparate for help.
    KIAT

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What is "message store"? By default, OE has no such folder.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Ah yes it does, its inbox.dbx for the inbox folder.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, let's use correct terminology. Again, there is no "message store" folder. If you mean Inbox, then say Inbox.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes if everyone know the correct terms that would be great, many don't, thats why the come to us for help, you can't post something helpful, don't post. Oh and i ment to add, most times i see this, is when someone setup a rule or spam filture or antivirus scanning mail that causes this type of issue. Have you checked this things?

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I was posting something helpful. Using exact terminology helps avoid confusion and there's no excuse for not using the correct terminolgy. He's using OE. So, he surely can recognize that the correct term is Inbox, not "message store".

"message store" could be interpreted to mean any folder in OE, the default ones or a folder he has created. There's just no reason not to use the exact terminology. All he needs to do is look at OE; it's that simple.

7. kiat

kiat Private E-2

To clarify "terminology" pls see Tools/options/maintenance/storefolder...then the term "message store"
    K

8. kiat

kiat Private E-2

ps - My apologies for the inaccuracies - this has been a very stressful loss. I appreciate any help that you can offer...

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If you can tell us what online recovery tool you used, perhaps someone who is familiar with it can offer some advice. What was the date range for the messages that were recovered?

10. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Expand your folder view – make sure you didn’t accidentally drag them to another folder. I have done that before. It makes you feel silly. ;)

If not - a tool like this may help you if you perhaps exported the files someplace:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Outlook_Express_Freebie_Backup_d4179.html
    at minumim use it for a backup tool.

The store is probably not really 2 gigs of mail – more likely should have been compressed. (FILE  Folders -> Compact) It’s a long story, but OE folders bloat with use– just like any database will. I also seem to recall a 2 gig issue with the size.
    I’m not sure I would compress it before finding the lost mail though. It might make it unrecoverable - also it is possible that the dbx file is actually damaged due to size.

I made a call to a friend of mine with a lot of OE experiences and he has used this program = http://www.oemailrecovery.com/outlook-express-recovery.html to recover damaged boxes.

Hopefully it will help.

11. kiat

kiat Private E-2

Thank you so very much. The boxes were damaged but I got most if not all inbox items with attachments back as well as most of the sent items (attachments gone though) by using the OE-Mail recovery program that you suggested. (Inbox folder was 1.88 g - there was a warning message for a "high water mark" but it was in the deleted items box ...???)

I had tried (purchased) two other programs and they did not work nearly as well.

We really appreciate your expert help!
    K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds