MS Outlook and IMAP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Following on from LauraR's thread about Outlook, I have Office 2007 Enterprise, but the changes to the UI (the ribbon) put me off the whole suite so much I hardly use it at all now, Outlook included. However I would think about switching back to Outlook (from Thunderbird) if I could be convinced that Outlook now handles IMAP satisfactorily.

Can anyone comment on this?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think Halo was implying that in the other thread when he said:
    A reference: Use Gmail IMAP in Microsoft Outlook 2007

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Earthling

I can only go on my personal experience with IMAP (Gmail) and Outlook 2007 (Enterprise as Gov dept I work for have deal with MSFT) and once you have enabled IMAP in the Google Settings and you will have in using thunderbird, you just click to setup new account and then enter Name, Email Address, password twice as the double click and Outlook sets all the settings up within a few seconds. Not come across any issue yet in sending and recieving mail from Gmails servers.

Worth giving it a go in Outlook just even if its to say "I tried it and didnt like it" but Thunderbird if your happy with it now is a good mail app to use anyway. On a side note, the old menus for Office are gone and even in Outlook 2010 they are different to 2007, but thats the nature of moving forward, personally I love the ribbon and have found my productivity is better as its more IMHO logical to look for a icon image that trawl through menu, sub menu and sub sub menu to get to an option.

Image from main Outlook 2010 screen I'm using on my main laptop, bare in mind this is only a preview version and not even beta yet.

[​IMG]

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Thanks for the responses. I use both gmail and my ISP for email, gmail for my 'public' address, such as notifications from forums, and my ISP for my 'private' address which only selected ppl have. It is my private address that I like to have on IMAP, and I cannot be sure whether the problems I have had previously, both with Outlook and WLM, are due to those programs or whether they are due to my ISP. However IMAP in Thunderbird does work perfectly with my ISP, so that makes me suspicious of both Outlook and WLM.

I guess I'll just have to try it to know for sure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds