MS Outlook2003 - Creating lists

Discussion in 'Software' started by No1Stunna, May 11, 2006.

1. No1Stunna

No1Stunna Private E-2

My main goal is to be able to create email lists from emails I send/receive. I know the two ways to do this: by selecting from your contact list or copy/paste from a recipients list. It's the latter I have questions about.

For example, I received an email from which I would like to create a list from all the recipients. These are the steps I take (from Outlook Help):
    1. In the e-mail message you want to copy the names from, select the names in the To or CC box.
    2. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    3. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Distribution List.
    4. In the Name box, type a name for the distribution list.
    5. Click Select Members.
    6. In the Add to distribution list list, right-click, and then click Paste on the shortcut menu.

Problem is, the recipients list includes aliases - instead of john.smith@acme.com, it shows up in the list as 'John Smith'. The aliases seem to be pulled from the sender's Contact list. Of course, when you paste 'John Smith' in the Add field, Outlook doesn't recognize this as a valid email address.

Is there a way to turn off or block the sender's aliases so that only email addresses show up?

Another thing I don't understand is that I do not have a contact list set up on my Outlook. But, when I'm sending an email to John Smith, as soon as I type the "j", his alias "John Smith <john.smith@acme.com>" appears on a list of choices along with any other J person. Where is it pulling this alias from? Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds