MS Server 2008 Networking Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sketchy, Apr 16, 2011.

1. sketchy

sketchy Private E-2

Hi All,
    I will attempt to explain my situation as clearly as possible!

Basically, i have a handful of client terminals all running windows 7 / xp and im bringing them together in a network.

they are all wired back to a central cabinet, housing a Netgear FS726T 24 port switch.

also wired into the switch I have a draytek vigor 2820. the dreytek is setup to handel DHCP and also supplies the WAN internet connection.

also wired into the switch I have a dell poweredge T110. The power edge is running Windows Server 2008 RC2.

on the poweredge, i have just completed an active directory installation using the guide located here:

http://www.windowsreference.com/win...-2008-domain-controller-and-dns-server-setup/

the installation ran smoothly.

each of the client terminals have internet access and can ping google,the poweredge and the draytek.

my situation is that none of the client terminals are picking up the domain controller that i setup on the poweredge. They can ping the server directly using its IP address, but when i attempt to join them to the domain controller, each terminal responds saying that An Active Directory Domain Controller could not be contacted.

Any suggestions as to what I may be overlooking that is responsible for the terminals not resolving my domain.controller?

Many thanks in advance, your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

2. sketchy

sketchy Private E-2

ok so i figured it out, the client terminal dns was pointing at the dreytek and not the server hence not resolving the DC name.

not out of the woods yet, i will be back! :p

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, if you have more issues, I can help. I'm familiar with 2008 and 2008r2, including server core. Where I work, we have 3 DC, 1 using normal 2k8r2 (bare metal), and 2 using server core at 2k8r2 (virtuallize).

DNS is a big issue, and can cause a lot of problems. Specially if you have trusts. We have 3.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds