MS updates download but do not install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jan Scrivens, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jan Scrivens

Jan Scrivens Private First Class

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 5542G running W7 Home premium. Up until now I have had no problems with updates, and as far as I know I have not made any changes to the set up for downloads.

I get a message to say there are 5 updates needed and I have downloaded these as usual. When I turn off I get the usual message to not turn off the computer until downloads finished. Each time, this installation has failed and the whole download starts again next time I turn off.
    I am getting error message 1084.
    Can you help please? Thanks, Jan:confused

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Sikvik that site does not even look slightly genuine, sry but if we look even "coarsely at it through the 1/2" thick glass lenses" we can see that that site is some pathetic mock up.

Sikvik take that how you like but anyone who has Right click IE and run as Admin has just been seriously compromised and hacked IMHO and such a suggestion SHOULD never be mentioned at MG.

You have raised a significant flag with myself and I will be reviewing your posts, from a personal perspective!

DO NOT FOLLOW SUCH ADVICE!

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Dunno what Sikvik is going to say about that but you are way off course here. The MS Fixit site is a perfectly legit and very useful resource.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Firstly the site you have linked is completely and utterly different form the site they have linked!

Secondly the problem has nothing to do with "scripting" and or allowance which is what I observe on your page link.

Thirdly why run a IE as ADMIN and go and visit some site!

None of these suggestions have even come close to broaching the problem at hand, sadly the solution is a pain in the bum and may require a Win 7 in place rebuild.

Attached Files:

• BS.jpg
      BS.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Just take a moment to follow my link through to the updates fix and you will end up exactly where Sikvik linked to, but first -
    You are only seeing that because scripting is disabled in YOUR browser. Enable it and you will start to see what this is actually all about
    I suspect Sikvik suggested that because the solution does modify the registry, though I'm not sure how necessary it really is to run it as Admin.

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Cheers Bold Eagle for you inputs. :)
    I'm running the fix as I type. If get hacked, I shall Inform accordingly. I saw this fix posted in another well respected forum and okay-ed by a respected member of their tech team. That being another tech forum I shied from posting the link to the thread.

If you like, I can PM you the link.

Cheers...

10. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

No issues were found. As an after thought I uploaded the .exe to Virus Total. No detection
    reported. Also the MD 5 seems common to a few MS fixit's. From what Google tells me.

Cheers..

11. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

support.microsoft.com is one of the most legitimate sites in my book :-D
    And those fix-it tools may fix this user's problems, as well as the crypt32 related post by baklogic. They are all legitimate suggestions.

If none of the above work suggestions work, I would try to delete any pending.xml* files in the C:\windows\winsxs directory. You may find out that you have to brute force delete them using Unlocker or something similar to it. Reboot your PC, and try updating again.

Also, it would be helpful if you posted which updates are failing constantly.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I will say I "most likely" owe you an apology, but still are not 100% on this. You have been a regular at MG for several years and normally I have respected your opinions and advice and hence are "tending towards" an apology.

Frankly I was concerned when clicking in the link and finding MS page is displaying and rendering a significantly different page "look" from about one month ago for any other MS sites I had visited.

My locked down FireFox (with NoScript) shows in the address bar a "this website does not supply identify information", as per pic and thus we can't even sincerely "verify the address" (it's simply called cloning for the "uninformed") and needs further "investigation".

Also a person should "never ever" run that security vulnerable IE in ADMIN mode as it will "fully expose" the average users system to what is a link that has raised questions in my mind.

Bottom line I would be a derelict geek if I did not point these facts out! If I have offended so be it I am more geek than polite!

Back to the initial post can you please indicate the specific update KBXXXXXXXX that are not installing, even better can you please take a screen shot of the update panel and more specific advice can be provided.

Attached Files:

13. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

No problem. Instead of rant I'd report a post, let the Admins and Mods come to a conclusion to delete an errant post.

Even for a legit link? Just for info, the link was posted by a malware fighter of another forum.

We seem to be wreaking this thread, so I'll stop.

Cheers..

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

That's great buddy.

To the OP if you click on the Windows Update button within the start menu and then select "Check for Updates" and select the "hyperlink" you should get a display like in the pic., of interest is the specific KBXXXXXXX that keep cycling. I have a suspicion of specific .NET files (which I recently experienced myself) and associations.

The next step will be to assess whether they are actually installed, this we can follow up on after review of the KB.

The next

Attached Files:

• KB.jpg
      KB.jpg
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
  15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Folks

Just to wade in wit my two feet, the FixIt site and the FixIt Centre Online (this ones an app that you download and more for XP than Windows 7 as it has it built in) are Legit apps, and I can say this as I had beta and still test these for the teams that are involved with these projects.

I think personally in part the FixIt Online Centre does not look as polished as a normal MSFT site but then its more XP geared and XP is on the slow road to death so why bother making the portal look great, albiet the FixIt Centre is a ended beta and you cannot download the app afaik now from a MSFT portal.

But back to the issue and I agree with Bold Eagle in posting the KB number of one of a few of the update that are not installing

As installing one of these may just unclog windows update for the others, I would also add please post what security applications you are using and if possible disable them and they try Windows update again.

Also post the error code that is given on one of the failed update as this can help us work out what the issue maybe, just open Windows Update and then History then double click the failed one, and a code will show like Error Details: Code 800705B4 and post that code.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds