MS Wireless Optical Desktop 700 (Kbd and Mouse)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbazza, Apr 15, 2007.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I've just purchased a MS Wireless Optical Desktop 700 (Keyboard and Mouse) for my laptop, replacing a Fellowes Microban PS/2 keyboard and a Microsoft USB Optical Wheel Mouse.

My questions are (and I have RTM):
    1. There is an rectangular window with a Battery icon beside it, on the Keyboard. It does not light up when connected. Does it only light up when batteries are flat, or going flat?

2. Also on the Keyboard there is a closed Envelope icon and button. Pressing it does not appear to do anything. I assume it is to connect to Outlook, Outlook Express or what?

3. How can it be programmed to do something, anything. ;)

The MS manual is hopeless and doesn't mention anything re the above.
    4 pages on Health warnings on using keyboards and Mice and not much else.

I hated the Fellowes keyboard. Really flimsy and badly designed legs that collapsed to a closed position at the slightest forward movement.

It is good to get rid of those cables to keyboard and Mouse.

Bazza

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Was there any software with it? I have a Logitech one, have the same button with the envelope and I can adjust it to open anything, although the default is Outlook Express.

An educated guess with regards to the battery icon would be as you said, when it's going flat. Can you find anything on google, any reviews or anything?

3. bigbazza

No software came with it.:cry I expected some, but nothing. :(
    Better look at Google. I usually do, but thought I would go through MG first.:major Bazza

===

4. bigbazza

Thanks macadam.:) I did google it later and only found 4 links.
    Lead me to reviews that weren't very complimentary about the mouse.
    One bloke couldn't get his mouse to work on bootup (hadn't read the manual before mouthing off).

To make a short story even longer, I took the whole lot back for a refund.
    Main problem for me was that were no idiot lights for Caps Lock, etc.

I eventually traded it in for a Logitech Desktop MX3200 Laser Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. 3 times the cost of my MS one. No idiot lights either.:D

I discovered that nowadays idiot lights are part on the on-screen display when you press Caps Lock, etc. :eek:

Must be cheaper than LED's. :(
    Me, I still prefer idiot lights as you can see at a glance if the Num Lock, etc., is on.

New keyboard and mouse are great. 22 programmable hot keys. Don't know if that means you are stuck with how they are programmed now, or can alter them later.
    More research required. RTFM (CD) I guess.;)

I've got little yellow stick-on dots all over the keyboard to point me towards each programmed key function. Looks like it's got measles for the moment. :D

One innovation, Delete key is twice the size and included in the Page Up, Page down group of keys. A great idea and gets a workout from me. Bazza

PS: If you are a lefty, or have trained yourself to use the mouse in your left hand (as I have), then the mouse is bulky and not designed for lefties. Baz

===

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I love Logitech desktop kits, I've had mine for a few years now and love it. And mine has the LEDs on the receiver as well as onscreen :p

As for the delete key, I've noticed that they've done this on some of the newer models - tbh I prefer it with them grouped as 6 and all the same size, but hey ho that's just me!

Why not get a lefty mouse, I'm sure there's some cheap ones on ebay?

6. bigbazza

Thanks mcadam for the info. I'm going to email Logitech for a lefty mouse than works with the MX3200. I'm not willing to go the e-Bay route until I have more info.
    The MX3200 cost too much $$$ to risk stuffing it up somehow.
    Gonna make some suggestions to them to improve the MX3200, IMO. :D
    Bazza

===

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Maybe they'll give you some commission if it's successful :p

8. bigbazza

Just a new keyboard incorporating my 13 suggestions would be great. ;) Bazza

===

9. bigbazza

Already got a reply from Logitech (within 24 hours as they promised) passing on my suggestions further up the line.

Got an answer to one of my queries.
    Repeated 2 more questions today, that they didn't reply to yesterday.

A pity that all websites did not promise, and provide, a reply in 24 hours.
    Good one, Logitech.:major :cool :)

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds