MS WORD .docx - 'Compatability Pack' NO Work

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottportraits, Dec 7, 2009.

1. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

December 7, 2009
    3.30pm

Hi again,

I have MS WORD & OFFICE v. 2002 SP3. I got an ".docx" :confused attachment to an email and wanted to open it. (It's a newsletter, virus-safe).

I launch my MS WORD app and get an error message saying I need to download the new post-2007 'compatibility pack'.

This I do, and install it - but alas, it just won't open that darn .docx document :cry !!

I tried re-downloading and re-installing, to no avail.

Simply: help !

- scottportraits

2. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

check for office updates as well, I know there are compatibility updates out there too.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just a couple if quick things to try, save the attachment to your hdd over opening via the email, reboot as at times a reboot or restart of Office is needed.

4. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

Can you save the email attacment .docx 2007 document as a .doc 97 - 2003 document? If so, that should solve the problem.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

He would have to be able to open it first in order to do that, and he can not open it. Now, if he could ask the originator to save it as a .doc 97 - 2003 document and re-send it, that would be a solution.

Where did you get the "new post-2007 'compatibility pack'"? Is this what you got?: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. Imperfect1

Actually, you can save and change the format of an attachment without opening it. When you click the Download link on an attachment, you have the option to either Open or Save it. If you click Save, you can, not only save the document to any location you choose, but you can also choose from a relatively long list of options in the "Save as type" section, regarding the format of the document. When an attachment is a Word document (sent in any format), one of the options is: "Microsoft Office Word 97-2003 Document."

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I disagree. I have a computer with Office 2003 installed and another computer with Office 2007 installed. I just sent myself a Word 2007 (.docx) file and tried to save it in a format other than .docx on my receiving computer. Within Outlook Express, I have two options for handling the attached Word 2007 file. I can either open it, but that will not work since I do not have Office 2007 or the Office 2007 compatibility pack on that computer, or I can simply save the file as is. I do not have an option to save the .docx file in other formats.

Likewise, if I open the email with Outlook 2003 on the computer with Office 2003, I can not save it as a Word 97-2003 Document.

This simply makes sense. Think about it. To truly change the format, the .docx file must be opened with an application that recognizes it, which would be either Word 2007 or the Office 2007 compatibility pack, and that program must make changes to the file to save it as a Word 97-2003 Document. You can't simply change the format of a file to make it work in a different application, i.e. version of Office, by merely changing the filename extension, which is the essence of what you're saying.

8. Imperfect1

usafveteran, I agree with the logic of what you're saying, and since I DO have 2007 on this laptop, I can't test out your theory of whether you can change the format of a 2007 docx if you DON'T have 2007 on your system. So you may be right, I don't know. But the essence of what I said in regard to being able to save and change the format of a document without having to open it first, is still accurate. Whether that can be done with a document format that is not already on your system, you're probably right. So we're both half right, okay? (But I'm sorry that I couldn't solve scottportraits' problem, cause that was the whole point.)

PS By the way, you might try this in a stand-alone email program rather than Outlook. I use Yahoo mail, MSN/Hotmail, and GMail, and have the "Save document as" option in all of them.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hm.

Word 2010 file?

10. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Dec 8, 2009 3.30pm est

Yes, this is where I got the update file:

:craphttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en:crap

The sender resent the newsletter as a regular WORD .doc, so I guess I can forget about all this until I need to open a new .docx.....which I hope is never.

Case closed. Thanks for all your input. Renaming it did NOT work.

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

No, that's not accurate. You may simply change the name of the file extension but that does not change the format. I could open a Command Prompt panel and change the name of myfile.docx to myfile.doc, or do the same in Windows Explorer. That does absolutely nothing to change the file content and will not make a .docx file compatible with versions of Office prior to Office 2007. So, again, the only way to TRUELY change the file format of a .docx file to .doc is to open it in Word 2007 and Save As .doc. Alternatively, it could be opened with Office XP or Office 2003 if the Compatibility Pack is installed.

I have a Yahoo account and a Gmail account. Neither of them has the "Save document as" option. And, again, if they did, it would merely be a changing of the filename and/or file extension and not an actual conversion of the file. So, it would be a useless procedure.

12. DavidGP

Hi

May be worth trying the SP1 version of that Compatability Pack you linked too as that version is old, also all updates for Office 2003 would need to be made sure they where installed first, then the updates SP1 Compatability Pack installed

Just for possible future run ins with docx files, not had the issue you have had but as you have a workaround that works.

@Imperfect1 _ I agree the logic of save as and choosing your format is sound, however as usafveteran mentions its not an option it saves in the native format it was sent, all save as is seeing is that its a Word Doc, this is a file I just sent to myself from Word 2007 in docx format and those are the only options you get, below

[​IMG]

However I tried this earlier in work on Outlook via Exchange and it didnt work corrupted the file, however at home, clicking from the dropdown All Files and then just adding .doc to the end of the file worked it changed the doc to Word 97-2003 format .doc that should open in Office 2003, sadly I dont have Office 2003 installed at present, to test this, but the resulting file is listed as a Word 97-2003 doc. BUT this may just be the backwards compatbility with Office 2003 that Office 2007 has, so its just a test and theory I will try out on Office 2003.

13. DavidGP

Hi

Just an update as finally after 30 mins of trying to find a PC in the building with Office 2003 I tried the file I renamed from docx to doc and as mentioned and as I suspected with trying it on my home pc with Office 2007 it while dis change file tags but opened due to 2007s backwards compat

on the work pc with 2003 it didn't open as file was corrupt and mostly due to the format changes in 2007

so to Scott do try the updated compat pack I posted a link to earlier as it's different to the one and version you had been trying

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds