msconfig does not work in Windows 2000 Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by DougA, May 30, 2006.

1. DougA

DougA Private E-2

Is there a way to access the Systems Utility in Windows 2000 Pro, equal to how msconfig works in Windows 98. I am trying to get rid of some of the programs that start when I turn my laptop on, all those icons that are showing on my task bar. Thanks for your help.

2. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi, msconfig is not on the w2k system (i have w2kpro) but you can download it from the net or copy it from a friends xp and put it in c\winnt\system32, it works fine, i have done this.

3. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

oooops, forgot to say you can access it through start\run\msconfig

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You can download msconfig from HERE. It goes in either c:\winnt\system32\ or even c:\winnt\.

Note: msconfig doesn't have to be put into any folder to run. It can be run from a floppy or put on the desktop and clicked on.

Putting it in the correct folder permits you to hit Start, then Run and typing in msconfig to launch it.

It was another dumb move by Micro$$oft to think that it wasn't required in Windows 2000 or Windows NT.

5. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I just did that too - and it works like a charm! Our work PC's use Win2000Pro, and I keenly felt the lack of this utility. Thanks for the link, insomniac!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds