msdos access to other pc's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akasup3rman, Jul 27, 2005.

1. akasup3rman

akasup3rman Private E-2

i was wondering if there was a command or way for me to access another computer's files through msdos.

and if so, what commands do i use? they are on the same network and have file sharing enabled, so i was wondering if this was possible.

thank you

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It is possible, but unless you find shooting yourself in the foot fun I wouldn't bother trying.

MS DOS does not have any built in way of reading samba shares (windows file shares). There have been programs made to do it but finding them now would be VERY difficult. Back when DOS was popular it was considered fast if you had a 28.8K modem. Very few people gave any thought to a NIC. So software support for networking is DOS is hard to come by. Heck it was hard to come by back when DOS was popular. Now that it's been dead for about a decade it's basicly unheard of.

If you really want to transfer files to this computer and installing windows isn't an option I suggest you check out the linux distro Knoppix. It's a live boot CD, you just stick it into the cdrom drive and turn the computer on and the OS loads up. It has built in support for windows file shares and it can even read any DOS partitions on the computer. SO you could use it to cop to the HD and then when done just remove the disk and reset and you'd be back in normal dos with your files copied over.

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

It's annoying to do it, to say the least.

You need to find the DOS NIC driver for your card. Then you need a TCP/IP stack driver. Then you need to get an IP address. Then you load a NetBIOS driver and assign a workgroup. Next you must map network drives with a DOS "net use" command. At some point you had to log on to the network, too.

There are some universal DOS-based TCP/IP network boot disks (Brad's and Bart's) which might be more useful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds