MSFT Outlook speed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lev, May 10, 2007.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

A sudden development on my Outlook email.

Writing emails from scratch is fine, but when I reply to an email I have received it takes ages for what I have typed to appear on the screen (and I really don't type THAT fast). I can wait up to 15 seconds to see the sentence I just typed. No new software installed. Running XP Media.

Suggestions?

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Try tools options, mail format, then compose message format, change to plain text. This may work, if not let me know. This fix assumes your not using html in your messages. But thats pretty unlikely.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Wrong link perhaps Steve? I've never used speech recognition and my problem is with Outlook, not IE hun :)

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks Cman, but it is already set to plain text.

But, having said that, I didn't change a thing, but just tried again and it seems to be working ok again now, after 2 days being slow. Will let you know if it reverts back again confused

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Same place try unchecking use word to edit email messages? Looking at my outlook 2003, it has a similar issue, but its never been enough to bother me i guess? Odd.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

It can effect Outlook, I would check just to make sure.

Steve

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks Steve...didn't know that. I checked and it is not installed :)

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Not checked anyway.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

I wonder if a certain process may be taking up quite a bit of your resources. I'd check task manager and check processes.

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Issue has been solved.

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

How was the issue resolved? :)

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

See levs post. It just started working again.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Ugh, just now noticed that. :)

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Maybe theefool knew something we didn't. The problem is very much back!

New info:

It seems the CPU is running at 100% when I am typing.....Task Manager shows 97% of that to be outlook.exe. That isn't right....all I'm doing is typing a reply to an email. It stays at 100% while ever I am typing. When I stop after about 15-20 seconds it goes down to around 7% CPU (normal %age for idling) and then suddenly the whole paragraph I was typing will appear in one go.

Welcome more suggestions guys :) Thanks for your time.

16. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

More info....it isn't ALL emails I reply to. Only those that were sent to me in html as opposed to plain text.

I have changed the send mail in setting to "Rich text" and seems to have solved the problem. Any comments?

17. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You might try checking the event log for further info, Lev.

They symptoms you're describing suggest to me perhaps a .DLL responsible for converting message types (you say it only happens on HTML messages, and you compose in plain text) is at fault. I'm just grasping at straws, though.

Have you tried doing a Detect and Repair? That's my first stop for Office problems. That and updating.

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Detect and repair seems to have sorted it...thanks Mada :D

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  19. majik-br

majik-br Private E-2

Hey, this is amazing!

The same exactly thing is happening to my Outlook 2003.

Not kinda exactly, it happens here even when composing "new" emails.

I start writing and words do not display ... then I wait some seconds and it magically appears (like some kind of lag).

I decided to watch cpu usage, and whenever I type something on Outlook (when composing) it goes to 100%, only goes down when I stop...

I tried first Detect and Repair from Outlook, seems to have solved the problem on the 1st days, but the problem just got back!

Please, does any1 know any other tips?

20. majik-br

majik-br Private E-2

Just to add some more info, I've checked it and it only happens when composing HTML emails.

I changed it to "Rich Text" and problem is solved (ps: I don't want to use ugly plain text).

Btw, does any1 know any pros/cons of using Rich Text instead of HTML?

21. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Please start a new thread when you have an issue you require assistance with, and not hijack the well-established thread of another member. (Especially when you have identified that the problem is NOT identical).

Thank you.

@Mada...well it seemed to work, but now it has resorted back to the very same thing, which is weird, since D&R resolved it for a few. Any other suggestions guys?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds