.msi downloads will not install.

Discussion in 'Software' started by jmount1068@hotmail.com, Sep 18, 2011.

1. For some reason when I try to install programs with .msi ending it opens into notepad instead of installing the program.I'm running windows home basic vista.I've asked this same question in yahoo and microsofts' forums but haven't been blessed with the right solution.I've been told to change the association for .msi,but don't know what to associate it with.Another response wasto reinstall the windows installer 4.5 but it won't let me.There is a fix in microsofts fix-it but it is a .msi download (LOL)If there is anyone with a solution that doesn't require buying some $40.00 program I would be very gratefull for your help.I'm not cheap,but we live on a fixed income and am disabled.Thank you.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

This is a reputable site. They just take a new Vista installation and export the default settings for each extension and zip them up and make them available.

The instructions apply to all extensions. Scroll down to MSI fix, download and unzip, then merge the .reg file with the registry. Reboot.

3. sach2,you rule.I cann't tell you how long I tryed to get help with this and your the only one who was able to help.Thank you so much.Jamie

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're welcome, glad it worked for you. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds