Msi k8n neo2 platinum

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeForce, Aug 5, 2005.

1. GeForce

GeForce Private E-2

Hey guys i was gonna ask for some advice on overclocking my system I have..

-MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    -AMD 64 3500+
    -BFG 6800GT
    -2x512 OCZ gold pc3200 (running at 2-3-3-6)
    -Very crappy no name PSU (420watt) this is what scares me

Im going to be ordering a new PSU soon and im thinking about a modstream 520 watt. Can you guys help me overclock this thing?

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Get the new PSU first ( look here before ordering one..) then post back here....If you plan to OC you should never get a cheap or get a "value" PSU ( the same thing with ram) .....

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

A guide to read first

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033

Follow all the tips

This thread is also informative

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/42801/

Also read the overclocking guide at the top

Check your temps if your already at 55 you need more cooling,download and install the 1.8 bios from msi,plug your sata drive into sata ports 3+4 near the cpu so the sata lock can lock them out.

These are the setting you must have to start overclocking

Set Cool n' Quiet to disabled
    Set Spread Spectrum to disabled
    Set Dynamic overclockign to disabled
    Set AGP clock to 67
    Set Memory timing to 1T
    Set Aggressive timing to disabled

leave your latencies at auto for the moment, the bios press and hold Shift+F2 and then press ALT+F3 to unlock "hidden" features within the BIOS

In here you will have to disable ati/nvidia speed up

The FSB is the the master key it overclocks everything,the 3 main things it overclocks are the cpu,memory and HTT at stock the cpu is at 2.2,the memory is at 200 and the HYPER TRANSPORT TECHNOLOGY (HTT) is at 1000mhz.

All 3 are worked out by multiplying the fsb by there multiplier

The cpu's is set stock at 11 which we can lower if the cpu slows us down

The memory is slightly different and can be a little tricky to understand,in dram configuration in the cell menu theres an option called max mem clock set to 200mhz this is your 1\1 ratio meaning the memory is running at the same speed as the fsb,if you set it to 166 it runs the memory at 5\6 the speed of the fsb which is at a fsb of 200mhz is 166mhz,but if we then up the fsb to 210 for instance it runs the memory at 5\6 of 210mhz,this is so we can up the fsb while keeping the memory slower if the memory is stopping us from going any higher "and it will"

The HTT is our other bus its speed is controlled by the HTT multiplier stock it is set to x5 so 200mhz fsb x5 = 1000mhz,From my testing once the HTT gets towards 1080mhz mark the memory banwidth starts to suffer because its overclocked too high

Right try and take all that in"I know its alot" and well start punching in our first overclocking numbers,dont give up,You need to understand what your doing so you know which of the 3 buses the cpu clock,memory closk or HHT clock we have pushed too far,hopefully we can get them all as high as they will go.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

P.S ACE is right,It might be better to wait until your OCZ modstream comes,the info will sit pretty here anyways,hopefull a few more members will chop and tweak it :)

5. GeForce

GeForce Private E-2

ok i will try to order that sometime this week. Thanks for the posts

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds